Aug 23, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
By this time next week, we’ll likely know Teemu Selanne’s future.
The 43-year-old Finn is set to meet with Anaheim GM Bob Murray and head coach Bruce Boudreau at some point over the next seven days to decide if he’ll return to the Ducks next season, according to the Los Angeles Times.
“I’ve met and talked with Teemu a couple of times in the last week or so. We have had good, positive discussions,” Murray told the Times.
“He told us he would like to meet again next week, and was hoping to make a decision at that time. We want him to take his time and make a decision he’s comfortable with. It’s Teemu’s decision to make.”
Selanne has spent much of the offseason in Finland, mulling over his future, but recently returned to Anaheim to meet with Murray and discuss his role.
It’s possible that conversation was tricky.
While it’s likely the organization would love to have Selanne back, his production and level of play declined as last season progressed. Boudreau cut Selanne’s ice time in April and May — he was a 14-minute guy in the playoffs — and it’s unclear if the Finnish Flash would want a similar scenario to unfold this season, especially since he’s in the mix to represent Finland at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
The club’s overall use of Selanne, and its ability to rest him prior to the Olympics, will also likely be discussed.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)