Aug 23, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
By this time next week, we’ll likely know Teemu Selanne’s future.
The 43-year-old Finn is set to meet with Anaheim GM Bob Murray and head coach Bruce Boudreau at some point over the next seven days to decide if he’ll return to the Ducks next season, according to the Los Angeles Times.
“I’ve met and talked with Teemu a couple of times in the last week or so. We have had good, positive discussions,” Murray told the Times.
“He told us he would like to meet again next week, and was hoping to make a decision at that time. We want him to take his time and make a decision he’s comfortable with. It’s Teemu’s decision to make.”
Selanne has spent much of the offseason in Finland, mulling over his future, but recently returned to Anaheim to meet with Murray and discuss his role.
It’s possible that conversation was tricky.
While it’s likely the organization would love to have Selanne back, his production and level of play declined as last season progressed. Boudreau cut Selanne’s ice time in April and May — he was a 14-minute guy in the playoffs — and it’s unclear if the Finnish Flash would want a similar scenario to unfold this season, especially since he’s in the mix to represent Finland at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
The club’s overall use of Selanne, and its ability to rest him prior to the Olympics, will also likely be discussed.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 51
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (51)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)