Aug 23, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
By this time next week, we’ll likely know Teemu Selanne’s future.
The 43-year-old Finn is set to meet with Anaheim GM Bob Murray and head coach Bruce Boudreau at some point over the next seven days to decide if he’ll return to the Ducks next season, according to the Los Angeles Times.
“I’ve met and talked with Teemu a couple of times in the last week or so. We have had good, positive discussions,” Murray told the Times.
“He told us he would like to meet again next week, and was hoping to make a decision at that time. We want him to take his time and make a decision he’s comfortable with. It’s Teemu’s decision to make.”
Selanne has spent much of the offseason in Finland, mulling over his future, but recently returned to Anaheim to meet with Murray and discuss his role.
It’s possible that conversation was tricky.
While it’s likely the organization would love to have Selanne back, his production and level of play declined as last season progressed. Boudreau cut Selanne’s ice time in April and May — he was a 14-minute guy in the playoffs — and it’s unclear if the Finnish Flash would want a similar scenario to unfold this season, especially since he’s in the mix to represent Finland at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
The club’s overall use of Selanne, and its ability to rest him prior to the Olympics, will also likely be discussed.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)