Aug 23, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
By this time next week, we’ll likely know Teemu Selanne’s future.
The 43-year-old Finn is set to meet with Anaheim GM Bob Murray and head coach Bruce Boudreau at some point over the next seven days to decide if he’ll return to the Ducks next season, according to the Los Angeles Times.
“I’ve met and talked with Teemu a couple of times in the last week or so. We have had good, positive discussions,” Murray told the Times.
“He told us he would like to meet again next week, and was hoping to make a decision at that time. We want him to take his time and make a decision he’s comfortable with. It’s Teemu’s decision to make.”
Selanne has spent much of the offseason in Finland, mulling over his future, but recently returned to Anaheim to meet with Murray and discuss his role.
It’s possible that conversation was tricky.
While it’s likely the organization would love to have Selanne back, his production and level of play declined as last season progressed. Boudreau cut Selanne’s ice time in April and May — he was a 14-minute guy in the playoffs — and it’s unclear if the Finnish Flash would want a similar scenario to unfold this season, especially since he’s in the mix to represent Finland at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
The club’s overall use of Selanne, and its ability to rest him prior to the Olympics, will also likely be discussed.
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Eastern Conference Final Game 7 0
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 25
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 53
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)