Aug 23, 2013, 5:05 PM EST
The 2013 season was a disappointment for the Carolina Hurricanes — especially for netminder Cam Ward.
Ward, 29, was lost for the season in early March after suffering a knee injury, which proceeded to derail the ‘Canes season. Carolina faltered badly with Dan Ellis and Justin Peters in goal and missed the playoffs, all while Ward looked on in frustration.
“Last season obviously is one I’d like to forget,” he told the Raleigh News & Observer. “I feel confident I’ve done everything I can this summer to get my body in the best shape I possibly can to have a healthy season.
“I want to make a big impact on this hockey team and let my play do the talking.”
Ward’s frustrations didn’t end with the injury. He was also left off Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp invite list, passed over in favor of five other goalies — Corey Crawford, Braden Holtby, Roberto Luongo, Carey Price and Mike Smith.
Ward’s omission was a surprise to many. He was one of the five selected to the 2010 camp (but was plagued by a back injury) and has shown a penchant for stepping up in pressure-filled situations. He captured the Conn Smythe during Carolina’s 2006 Stanley Cup championship and backstopped the ‘Canes to the Eastern Conference finals in 2009.
His aim for this season is simple — play well for the ‘Canes, which in turn should put him in the Team Canada mix.
“It’s definitely in my head, yes,” he said. “Obviously I was very disappointed to be left off that list but you’ve got to look at the positives and I’m going to use that as even more motivation to prove some people wrong.
“Again, let my play do the talking and hopefully I can play my way on to the team.”
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 2
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)