Aug 23, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
The 2013 season was a disappointment for the Carolina Hurricanes — especially for netminder Cam Ward.
Ward, 29, was lost for the season in early March after suffering a knee injury, which proceeded to derail the ‘Canes season. Carolina faltered badly with Dan Ellis and Justin Peters in goal and missed the playoffs, all while Ward looked on in frustration.
“Last season obviously is one I’d like to forget,” he told the Raleigh News & Observer. “I feel confident I’ve done everything I can this summer to get my body in the best shape I possibly can to have a healthy season.
“I want to make a big impact on this hockey team and let my play do the talking.”
Ward’s frustrations didn’t end with the injury. He was also left off Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp invite list, passed over in favor of five other goalies — Corey Crawford, Braden Holtby, Roberto Luongo, Carey Price and Mike Smith.
Ward’s omission was a surprise to many. He was one of the five selected to the 2010 camp (but was plagued by a back injury) and has shown a penchant for stepping up in pressure-filled situations. He captured the Conn Smythe during Carolina’s 2006 Stanley Cup championship and backstopped the ‘Canes to the Eastern Conference finals in 2009.
His aim for this season is simple — play well for the ‘Canes, which in turn should put him in the Team Canada mix.
“It’s definitely in my head, yes,” he said. “Obviously I was very disappointed to be left off that list but you’ve got to look at the positives and I’m going to use that as even more motivation to prove some people wrong.
“Again, let my play do the talking and hopefully I can play my way on to the team.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)