Aug 23, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
The 2013 season was a disappointment for the Carolina Hurricanes — especially for netminder Cam Ward.
Ward, 29, was lost for the season in early March after suffering a knee injury, which proceeded to derail the ‘Canes season. Carolina faltered badly with Dan Ellis and Justin Peters in goal and missed the playoffs, all while Ward looked on in frustration.
“Last season obviously is one I’d like to forget,” he told the Raleigh News & Observer. “I feel confident I’ve done everything I can this summer to get my body in the best shape I possibly can to have a healthy season.
“I want to make a big impact on this hockey team and let my play do the talking.”
Ward’s frustrations didn’t end with the injury. He was also left off Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp invite list, passed over in favor of five other goalies — Corey Crawford, Braden Holtby, Roberto Luongo, Carey Price and Mike Smith.
Ward’s omission was a surprise to many. He was one of the five selected to the 2010 camp (but was plagued by a back injury) and has shown a penchant for stepping up in pressure-filled situations. He captured the Conn Smythe during Carolina’s 2006 Stanley Cup championship and backstopped the ‘Canes to the Eastern Conference finals in 2009.
His aim for this season is simple — play well for the ‘Canes, which in turn should put him in the Team Canada mix.
“It’s definitely in my head, yes,” he said. “Obviously I was very disappointed to be left off that list but you’ve got to look at the positives and I’m going to use that as even more motivation to prove some people wrong.
“Again, let my play do the talking and hopefully I can play my way on to the team.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)