Aug 23, 2013, 5:05 PM EST
The 2013 season was a disappointment for the Carolina Hurricanes — especially for netminder Cam Ward.
Ward, 29, was lost for the season in early March after suffering a knee injury, which proceeded to derail the ‘Canes season. Carolina faltered badly with Dan Ellis and Justin Peters in goal and missed the playoffs, all while Ward looked on in frustration.
“Last season obviously is one I’d like to forget,” he told the Raleigh News & Observer. “I feel confident I’ve done everything I can this summer to get my body in the best shape I possibly can to have a healthy season.
“I want to make a big impact on this hockey team and let my play do the talking.”
Ward’s frustrations didn’t end with the injury. He was also left off Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp invite list, passed over in favor of five other goalies — Corey Crawford, Braden Holtby, Roberto Luongo, Carey Price and Mike Smith.
Ward’s omission was a surprise to many. He was one of the five selected to the 2010 camp (but was plagued by a back injury) and has shown a penchant for stepping up in pressure-filled situations. He captured the Conn Smythe during Carolina’s 2006 Stanley Cup championship and backstopped the ‘Canes to the Eastern Conference finals in 2009.
His aim for this season is simple — play well for the ‘Canes, which in turn should put him in the Team Canada mix.
“It’s definitely in my head, yes,” he said. “Obviously I was very disappointed to be left off that list but you’ve got to look at the positives and I’m going to use that as even more motivation to prove some people wrong.
“Again, let my play do the talking and hopefully I can play my way on to the team.”
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 24
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 23
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)