Aug 23, 2013, 6:36 PM EDT
In the eyes of one player, Mikhail Grabovski is exactly who the Washington Capitals needed to acquire this off-season.
On Friday, the Capitals announced they had signed Grabovski to a one-year, $3 million deal.
“He’s been really good in Toronto, I think, so we’re excited to have him come in. He’s a great player, he brings a lot of speed and skill. He can score goals too. He’s a smart centerman that hopefully will do a lot for this team.”
The 29-year-old center struggled this past season with the Toronto Maple Leafs, producing only nine goals and 16 points in 48 games.
He had eclipsed the 50-point plateau in each of the previous two seasons.
The Leafs used one of their compliance buyouts on Grabovski – who had four years remaining on his five-year deal with the Leafs, at an annual cap hit of $5.5 million – in early July prior to the opening of free agency.
Despite his struggles during the 2013 lockout-shortened campaign, he can still add a scoring punch to a Capitals team that surged late in the regular season and finished fourth in the league in goals-for, averaging 3.04 goals per game.
“Mikhail adds speed and offense to our lineup, and we are very pleased to have him sign with the Capitals,” said Capitals general manager George McPhee. “We believe he will be an excellent addition to our club.”
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)