Aug 23, 2013, 6:36 PM EST
In the eyes of one player, Mikhail Grabovski is exactly who the Washington Capitals needed to acquire this off-season.
On Friday, the Capitals announced they had signed Grabovski to a one-year, $3 million deal.
“He’s been really good in Toronto, I think, so we’re excited to have him come in. He’s a great player, he brings a lot of speed and skill. He can score goals too. He’s a smart centerman that hopefully will do a lot for this team.”
The 29-year-old center struggled this past season with the Toronto Maple Leafs, producing only nine goals and 16 points in 48 games.
He had eclipsed the 50-point plateau in each of the previous two seasons.
The Leafs used one of their compliance buyouts on Grabovski – who had four years remaining on his five-year deal with the Leafs, at an annual cap hit of $5.5 million – in early July prior to the opening of free agency.
Despite his struggles during the 2013 lockout-shortened campaign, he can still add a scoring punch to a Capitals team that surged late in the regular season and finished fourth in the league in goals-for, averaging 3.04 goals per game.
“Mikhail adds speed and offense to our lineup, and we are very pleased to have him sign with the Capitals,” said Capitals general manager George McPhee. “We believe he will be an excellent addition to our club.”
- Mike Richards clears waivers 6
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 5
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)