Aug 23, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals have confirmed that Mikhail Grabovski has agreed to a one-year, $3 million deal with their club.
“Mikhail adds speed and offense to our lineup, and we are very pleased to have him sign with the Capitals,” said GM George McPhee. “We believe he will be an excellent addition to our club.”
Grabovski surpassed the 50-point milestone in back-to-back seasons going into the 2013 campaign, but he fell in the Toronto Maple Leafs’ depth charts last season and ended up with just nine goals and 16 points in 48 contests while averaging 15:34 minutes. That led to the Maple Leafs using a compliance buyout on him with four seasons left on his five-year, $27.5 million contract.
After that move, Grabovski had some choice words for Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle.
“He makes me [expletive] play on the fourth line and he put me in the playoffs on the fourth line and third line again,” Grabovski said last month. “Yeah, I don’t score goals. I need to work more about that. I know that. But if you feel support from your coach [you’ll find success]. I don’t feel any support from this [expletive] idiot.”
Grabovski’s agent, Gary Greenstin told the Canadian Press that he expects his client to surpass his career-high of 58 points in Capitals coach Adam Oates’ system, provided that Grabovski is used as a top-six forward. He should get that kind of opportunity following the departure of Mike Ribeiro.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)