Aug 23, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals have confirmed that Mikhail Grabovski has agreed to a one-year, $3 million deal with their club.
“Mikhail adds speed and offense to our lineup, and we are very pleased to have him sign with the Capitals,” said GM George McPhee. “We believe he will be an excellent addition to our club.”
Grabovski surpassed the 50-point milestone in back-to-back seasons going into the 2013 campaign, but he fell in the Toronto Maple Leafs’ depth charts last season and ended up with just nine goals and 16 points in 48 contests while averaging 15:34 minutes. That led to the Maple Leafs using a compliance buyout on him with four seasons left on his five-year, $27.5 million contract.
After that move, Grabovski had some choice words for Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle.
“He makes me [expletive] play on the fourth line and he put me in the playoffs on the fourth line and third line again,” Grabovski said last month. “Yeah, I don’t score goals. I need to work more about that. I know that. But if you feel support from your coach [you'll find success]. I don’t feel any support from this [expletive] idiot.”
Grabovski’s agent, Gary Greenstin told the Canadian Press that he expects his client to surpass his career-high of 58 points in Capitals coach Adam Oates’ system, provided that Grabovski is used as a top-six forward. He should get that kind of opportunity following the departure of Mike Ribeiro.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)