Aug 23, 2013, 9:59 AM EST
The Washington Capitals have confirmed that Mikhail Grabovski has agreed to a one-year, $3 million deal with their club.
“Mikhail adds speed and offense to our lineup, and we are very pleased to have him sign with the Capitals,” said GM George McPhee. “We believe he will be an excellent addition to our club.”
Grabovski surpassed the 50-point milestone in back-to-back seasons going into the 2013 campaign, but he fell in the Toronto Maple Leafs’ depth charts last season and ended up with just nine goals and 16 points in 48 contests while averaging 15:34 minutes. That led to the Maple Leafs using a compliance buyout on him with four seasons left on his five-year, $27.5 million contract.
After that move, Grabovski had some choice words for Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle.
“He makes me [expletive] play on the fourth line and he put me in the playoffs on the fourth line and third line again,” Grabovski said last month. “Yeah, I don’t score goals. I need to work more about that. I know that. But if you feel support from your coach [you'll find success]. I don’t feel any support from this [expletive] idiot.”
Grabovski’s agent, Gary Greenstin told the Canadian Press that he expects his client to surpass his career-high of 58 points in Capitals coach Adam Oates’ system, provided that Grabovski is used as a top-six forward. He should get that kind of opportunity following the departure of Mike Ribeiro.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 149
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (149)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)