Aug 23, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals have confirmed that Mikhail Grabovski has agreed to a one-year, $3 million deal with their club.
“Mikhail adds speed and offense to our lineup, and we are very pleased to have him sign with the Capitals,” said GM George McPhee. “We believe he will be an excellent addition to our club.”
Grabovski surpassed the 50-point milestone in back-to-back seasons going into the 2013 campaign, but he fell in the Toronto Maple Leafs’ depth charts last season and ended up with just nine goals and 16 points in 48 contests while averaging 15:34 minutes. That led to the Maple Leafs using a compliance buyout on him with four seasons left on his five-year, $27.5 million contract.
After that move, Grabovski had some choice words for Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle.
“He makes me [expletive] play on the fourth line and he put me in the playoffs on the fourth line and third line again,” Grabovski said last month. “Yeah, I don’t score goals. I need to work more about that. I know that. But if you feel support from your coach [you'll find success]. I don’t feel any support from this [expletive] idiot.”
Grabovski’s agent, Gary Greenstin told the Canadian Press that he expects his client to surpass his career-high of 58 points in Capitals coach Adam Oates’ system, provided that Grabovski is used as a top-six forward. He should get that kind of opportunity following the departure of Mike Ribeiro.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 18
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)