Aug 23, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
In a telling interview with TSN’s James Duthie, Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo opened up about the rampant trade talk that has surrounded him for more than a year.
In the waning minutes of this year’s trade deadline, Luongo was suddenly pulled off the ice at Canucks practice and taken to general manager Mike Gillis’ office with the possibility of a deal in the works.
However, that potential deal was never completed.
“Ten minutes before the deadline was over, I get yanked off the ice and they were telling me to hurry up and (I) needed to get to Mike’s office,” Luongo told Duthie in part of an interview that aired on TSN’s SportsCentre on Friday afternoon.
In order for a deal to take place, Luongo would’ve had to waive his no-trade clause. He said he was handed a waiver form as he entered Gillis’ office.
“It became real at that point that this was probably it,” said Luongo.
“As soon as I sat down in Mike’s office, he walked in and just told me that the deal fell through and there was no trade.”
Luongo admitted to getting emotional, which was evident when he held court with reporters shortly after practice and the deadline has passed.
“Not because I was angry or whatnot, but I just of the range of emotion and leading up to that day and (in that) last hour or two and thinking that you were traded one second and all of the sudden realizing that you’re not,” he said.
“I think it just got to me for a second there and I might’ve cried in front of another man.”
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 14
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29