Aug 23, 2013, 9:47 PM EST
Ryan Spooner got his first taste of life in the National Hockey League last season.
It was a brief sample, only four games with the Boston Bruins. He didn’t register a point. But now he wants to turn that fleeting experience into a more long-term career, as training camp looms closer every day.
Spooner came to the Bruins as a second-round pick in the 2010 NHL Draft. Having an everyday impact in Boston appears to be a difficult feat for the 21-year-old center.
Though it’s worth pointing out that Campbell is coming off a broken leg, suffered when he blocked an Evgeni Malkin slap shot in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference final against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
“I think the only thing for me to do in camp is play my game and just try to open some eyes, show them that I’m ready to play,” Spooner told the Ottawa Citizen on Thursday.
“I think if I do that, hopefully they’ll make a spot for me.
“If not, I’d be upset going back to Providence to play, but it’s a great league down there, too, and the coaching staff is great, so I can learn a lot of stuff down there.”
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 18
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 9
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 75
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)