Aug 23, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
Ryan Spooner got his first taste of life in the National Hockey League last season.
It was a brief sample, only four games with the Boston Bruins. He didn’t register a point. But now he wants to turn that fleeting experience into a more long-term career, as training camp looms closer every day.
Spooner came to the Bruins as a second-round pick in the 2010 NHL Draft. Having an everyday impact in Boston appears to be a difficult feat for the 21-year-old center.
Though it’s worth pointing out that Campbell is coming off a broken leg, suffered when he blocked an Evgeni Malkin slap shot in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference final against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
“I think the only thing for me to do in camp is play my game and just try to open some eyes, show them that I’m ready to play,” Spooner told the Ottawa Citizen on Thursday.
“I think if I do that, hopefully they’ll make a spot for me.
“If not, I’d be upset going back to Providence to play, but it’s a great league down there, too, and the coaching staff is great, so I can learn a lot of stuff down there.”
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 11
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 30
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)