Aug 23, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
Ryan Spooner got his first taste of life in the National Hockey League last season.
It was a brief sample, only four games with the Boston Bruins. He didn’t register a point. But now he wants to turn that fleeting experience into a more long-term career, as training camp looms closer every day.
Spooner came to the Bruins as a second-round pick in the 2010 NHL Draft. Having an everyday impact in Boston appears to be a difficult feat for the 21-year-old center.
Though it’s worth pointing out that Campbell is coming off a broken leg, suffered when he blocked an Evgeni Malkin slap shot in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference final against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
“I think the only thing for me to do in camp is play my game and just try to open some eyes, show them that I’m ready to play,” Spooner told the Ottawa Citizen on Thursday.
“I think if I do that, hopefully they’ll make a spot for me.
“If not, I’d be upset going back to Providence to play, but it’s a great league down there, too, and the coaching staff is great, so I can learn a lot of stuff down there.”
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 25
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 6
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 14
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (25)