Aug 22, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
Journeyman forward Trent Whitfield has signed with HC Bolzano of Austria’s Erste Bank Hockey League, the club announced on Thursday.
Whitfield, 36, has appeared in 194 regular season and 18 playoff contests during his NHL career for the Capitals, Rangers, Blues and Bruins.
His best season came during the 2003-04 campaign in Washington, when he scored a career-high 11 points in 44 games, averaging nearly 13 minutes a night.
Whitfield notably overcame a torn Achilles in 2010-11 to rejoin AHL Providence, and later became one of Boston’s “Black Aces” during the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals run.
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 4
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 11
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 24
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12