Aug 22, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
Journeyman forward Trent Whitfield has signed with HC Bolzano of Austria’s Erste Bank Hockey League, the club announced on Thursday.
Whitfield, 36, has appeared in 194 regular season and 18 playoff contests during his NHL career for the Capitals, Rangers, Blues and Bruins.
His best season came during the 2003-04 campaign in Washington, when he scored a career-high 11 points in 44 games, averaging nearly 13 minutes a night.
Whitfield notably overcame a torn Achilles in 2010-11 to rejoin AHL Providence, and later became one of Boston’s “Black Aces” during the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals run.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 7
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 14
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 69
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (69)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)