Aug 22, 2013, 1:42 PM EST
Tanev, 23, had spent much of the summer in a contract impasse with Vancouver after posting career highs in games (38), goals (two), assists (five) and points (seven) in 2013.
There were reports that he’d been contacted by KHL clubs about playing next season in Russia, but the former RIT standout opted to sign a short-term, “prove-it” with the Canucks deal instead.
(Next offseason will also be interested because Tanev will have arbitration rights, something he didn’t have this summer.)
Former Montreal blueliner Yannick Weber should also be in the mix.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)