Aug 22, 2013, 2:49 PM EST
If reports are true, Mikhail Grabovski could soon be on his way to Washington.
According to Belarusian sports outlet Pressball (and Belarusian TV channel ONT), Grabovski is on the verge of signing a one-year deal with the Capitals, believed to be in the neighborhood of $3 million.
Gary Greenstin, the player agent representing Grabovski, had no comment about any potential deal.
The Grabovski-to-Washington deal has been bandied about for quite some time, notably in late July when PHT’s very own Jason Brough asked if the Caps should make a move.
Washington lost major depth down the middle when last year’s No. 2 center, Mike Ribeiro, signed with Phoenix in free agency. Ribeiro had 13 goals and 36 assists during the regular season and 49 points were the second most, behind Alex Ovechkin‘s 56, on the Caps and tied for 10th overall in the NHL.
GM George McPhee has indicated Ribeiro’s job would go to Brooks Laich, but Laich has struggled with injuries as of late and appeared in just nine games during the 2013 season.
So, enter Grabovski (reportedly).
Bought out by the Leafs during July’s compliance window, Grabovski will be paid $14.3 million over the next eight years by Toronto, plus what he earns on his new contract.
If he’s serious about wanting to “win something,” he could do worse than signing with the Caps, who have a number of intriguing wingers for Grabovski to play with: Martin Erat, Jason Chimera, Troy Brouwer, Joel Ward and Eric Fehr.
Signing with Washington and sticking in the Eastern Conference would also give him three opportunities to go up against his old Toronto team, something that — based on this rant — he’d probably enjoy doing.
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 4
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 1
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 59
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 27
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (59)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)