Aug 22, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
If reports are true, Mikhail Grabovski could soon be on his way to Washington.
According to Belarusian sports outlet Pressball (and Belarusian TV channel ONT), Grabovski is on the verge of signing a one-year deal with the Capitals, believed to be in the neighborhood of $3 million.
Gary Greenstin, the player agent representing Grabovski, had no comment about any potential deal.
The Grabovski-to-Washington deal has been bandied about for quite some time, notably in late July when PHT’s very own Jason Brough asked if the Caps should make a move.
Washington lost major depth down the middle when last year’s No. 2 center, Mike Ribeiro, signed with Phoenix in free agency. Ribeiro had 13 goals and 36 assists during the regular season and 49 points were the second most, behind Alex Ovechkin‘s 56, on the Caps and tied for 10th overall in the NHL.
GM George McPhee has indicated Ribeiro’s job would go to Brooks Laich, but Laich has struggled with injuries as of late and appeared in just nine games during the 2013 season.
So, enter Grabovski (reportedly).
Bought out by the Leafs during July’s compliance window, Grabovski will be paid $14.3 million over the next eight years by Toronto, plus what he earns on his new contract.
If he’s serious about wanting to “win something,” he could do worse than signing with the Caps, who have a number of intriguing wingers for Grabovski to play with: Martin Erat, Jason Chimera, Troy Brouwer, Joel Ward and Eric Fehr.
Signing with Washington and sticking in the Eastern Conference would also give him three opportunities to go up against his old Toronto team, something that — based on this rant — he’d probably enjoy doing.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)