Aug 22, 2013, 2:49 PM EST
If reports are true, Mikhail Grabovski could soon be on his way to Washington.
According to Belarusian sports outlet Pressball (and Belarusian TV channel ONT), Grabovski is on the verge of signing a one-year deal with the Capitals, believed to be in the neighborhood of $3 million.
Gary Greenstin, the player agent representing Grabovski, had no comment about any potential deal.
The Grabovski-to-Washington deal has been bandied about for quite some time, notably in late July when PHT’s very own Jason Brough asked if the Caps should make a move.
Washington lost major depth down the middle when last year’s No. 2 center, Mike Ribeiro, signed with Phoenix in free agency. Ribeiro had 13 goals and 36 assists during the regular season and 49 points were the second most, behind Alex Ovechkin‘s 56, on the Caps and tied for 10th overall in the NHL.
GM George McPhee has indicated Ribeiro’s job would go to Brooks Laich, but Laich has struggled with injuries as of late and appeared in just nine games during the 2013 season.
So, enter Grabovski (reportedly).
Bought out by the Leafs during July’s compliance window, Grabovski will be paid $14.3 million over the next eight years by Toronto, plus what he earns on his new contract.
If he’s serious about wanting to “win something,” he could do worse than signing with the Caps, who have a number of intriguing wingers for Grabovski to play with: Martin Erat, Jason Chimera, Troy Brouwer, Joel Ward and Eric Fehr.
Signing with Washington and sticking in the Eastern Conference would also give him three opportunities to go up against his old Toronto team, something that — based on this rant — he’d probably enjoy doing.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)