Aug 22, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
If reports are true, Mikhail Grabovski could soon be on his way to Washington.
According to Belarusian sports outlet Pressball (and Belarusian TV channel ONT), Grabovski is on the verge of signing a one-year deal with the Capitals, believed to be in the neighborhood of $3 million.
Gary Greenstin, the player agent representing Grabovski, had no comment about any potential deal.
The Grabovski-to-Washington deal has been bandied about for quite some time, notably in late July when PHT’s very own Jason Brough asked if the Caps should make a move.
Washington lost major depth down the middle when last year’s No. 2 center, Mike Ribeiro, signed with Phoenix in free agency. Ribeiro had 13 goals and 36 assists during the regular season and 49 points were the second most, behind Alex Ovechkin‘s 56, on the Caps and tied for 10th overall in the NHL.
GM George McPhee has indicated Ribeiro’s job would go to Brooks Laich, but Laich has struggled with injuries as of late and appeared in just nine games during the 2013 season.
So, enter Grabovski (reportedly).
Bought out by the Leafs during July’s compliance window, Grabovski will be paid $14.3 million over the next eight years by Toronto, plus what he earns on his new contract.
If he’s serious about wanting to “win something,” he could do worse than signing with the Caps, who have a number of intriguing wingers for Grabovski to play with: Martin Erat, Jason Chimera, Troy Brouwer, Joel Ward and Eric Fehr.
Signing with Washington and sticking in the Eastern Conference would also give him three opportunities to go up against his old Toronto team, something that — based on this rant — he’d probably enjoy doing.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)