Aug 22, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
The next week should prove interesting for Vancouver and the Sedin twins.
That said, the Canucks captain stressed there’s no timeline for a decision to be made.
“I’m sure we’re going to talk before training camp and see where we are,” Henrik explained. “For us there’s no rush, I mean, if things can get done we’re more than happy but if not we’re happy to wait.”
The Sedins are headed into the final years of the matching five-year, $30.5 million deals signed in 2009. The brothers have each spent all of their 12-year careers in Vancouver, becoming two of the best players in team history.
Henrik won the first-ever Hart Trophy in franchise history following the 2009-10 season; a year later, Daniel was nominated for league MVP (which went to Anaheim’s Corey Perry.)
It will be interesting to see what financial ideas the two sides bring to the table.
Barry publicly stated his clients took less money to stay in Vancouver last time around — reports suggested their original asking price(s) were $63 million over 12 years — so it’ll be interesting to see if they accept another team-friendly deal.
Not that the Canucks are in a financial bind.
Vancouver’s biggest long-term commitments are on defense, where Alex Edler, Kevin Bieksa, Jason Garrison and Dan Hamhuis are locked in for $18.7 million annually until 2016 (at which time Bieksa and Hamhuis become UFAs.)
In goal, Roberto Luongo is signed through 2022 and — interestingly enough — is also repped by Barry.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)