Aug 22, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
The next week should prove interesting for Vancouver and the Sedin twins.
That said, the Canucks captain stressed there’s no timeline for a decision to be made.
“I’m sure we’re going to talk before training camp and see where we are,” Henrik explained. “For us there’s no rush, I mean, if things can get done we’re more than happy but if not we’re happy to wait.”
The Sedins are headed into the final years of the matching five-year, $30.5 million deals signed in 2009. The brothers have each spent all of their 12-year careers in Vancouver, becoming two of the best players in team history.
Henrik won the first-ever Hart Trophy in franchise history following the 2009-10 season; a year later, Daniel was nominated for league MVP (which went to Anaheim’s Corey Perry.)
It will be interesting to see what financial ideas the two sides bring to the table.
Barry publicly stated his clients took less money to stay in Vancouver last time around — reports suggested their original asking price(s) were $63 million over 12 years — so it’ll be interesting to see if they accept another team-friendly deal.
Not that the Canucks are in a financial bind.
Vancouver’s biggest long-term commitments are on defense, where Alex Edler, Kevin Bieksa, Jason Garrison and Dan Hamhuis are locked in for $18.7 million annually until 2016 (at which time Bieksa and Hamhuis become UFAs.)
In goal, Roberto Luongo is signed through 2022 and — interestingly enough — is also repped by Barry.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)