Aug 22, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
The next week should prove interesting for Vancouver and the Sedin twins.
That said, the Canucks captain stressed there’s no timeline for a decision to be made.
“I’m sure we’re going to talk before training camp and see where we are,” Henrik explained. “For us there’s no rush, I mean, if things can get done we’re more than happy but if not we’re happy to wait.”
The Sedins are headed into the final years of the matching five-year, $30.5 million deals signed in 2009. The brothers have each spent all of their 12-year careers in Vancouver, becoming two of the best players in team history.
Henrik won the first-ever Hart Trophy in franchise history following the 2009-10 season; a year later, Daniel was nominated for league MVP (which went to Anaheim’s Corey Perry.)
It will be interesting to see what financial ideas the two sides bring to the table.
Barry publicly stated his clients took less money to stay in Vancouver last time around — reports suggested their original asking price(s) were $63 million over 12 years — so it’ll be interesting to see if they accept another team-friendly deal.
Not that the Canucks are in a financial bind.
Vancouver’s biggest long-term commitments are on defense, where Alex Edler, Kevin Bieksa, Jason Garrison and Dan Hamhuis are locked in for $18.7 million annually until 2016 (at which time Bieksa and Hamhuis become UFAs.)
In goal, Roberto Luongo is signed through 2022 and — interestingly enough — is also repped by Barry.
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 2
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 23
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)