Aug 22, 2013, 12:44 PM EST
The next week should prove interesting for Vancouver and the Sedin twins.
That said, the Canucks captain stressed there’s no timeline for a decision to be made.
“I’m sure we’re going to talk before training camp and see where we are,” Henrik explained. “For us there’s no rush, I mean, if things can get done we’re more than happy but if not we’re happy to wait.”
The Sedins are headed into the final years of the matching five-year, $30.5 million deals signed in 2009. The brothers have each spent all of their 12-year careers in Vancouver, becoming two of the best players in team history.
Henrik won the first-ever Hart Trophy in franchise history following the 2009-10 season; a year later, Daniel was nominated for league MVP (which went to Anaheim’s Corey Perry.)
It will be interesting to see what financial ideas the two sides bring to the table.
Barry publicly stated his clients took less money to stay in Vancouver last time around — reports suggested their original asking price(s) were $63 million over 12 years — so it’ll be interesting to see if they accept another team-friendly deal.
Not that the Canucks are in a financial bind.
Vancouver’s biggest long-term commitments are on defense, where Alex Edler, Kevin Bieksa, Jason Garrison and Dan Hamhuis are locked in for $18.7 million annually until 2016 (at which time Bieksa and Hamhuis become UFAs.)
In goal, Roberto Luongo is signed through 2022 and — interestingly enough — is also repped by Barry.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 35
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)