Aug 22, 2013, 7:51 PM EST
For some, six outdoor games might seem like a bit much. Yet Gary Bettman might have a point when he pumps up the local aspect of the individual events; wouldn’t it be more fun if each host city put its own spin on each respective outing?*
In the case of Dodger Stadium’s outdoor game, the first big change – beyond the heightened threat of sunny weather – is that there will not be an alumni game. LA Kings Insider reports that the Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Ducks won’t feature heroes of yore ambling up and down the ice as part of the festivities.
Kings/AEG executive Kelly Cheeseman explains why.
“We went through that exercise ad nauseum to try to make that work, because … we were very excited about that possibility,” Cheeseman said. “But, unfortunately, just the logistics and the timing of our game, and the concerns of the ice conditions, aren’t going to allow us to pull off an alumni game …”
(Of course, it’s hard to ignore the lack of particularly appealing Ducks alumni options since they’re still a relatively new franchise. Well, unless Teemu Selanne retires and we get to see him pair up with Paul Kariya again, though …)
On the bright side, Cheeseman noted that the event with “definitely represent Southern California.” Feel free to speculate on what, exactly, that means.
* – Or outings, if you’re talking about Yankee Stadium.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 36
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)