Aug 22, 2013, 10:33 PM EDT
While some look at this summer as an example of the Winnipeg Jets loading up for a big advancement, others wonder if the core of the team has really changed all that much since Rick Dudley’s brief run as the GM.
Perhaps those calls will quiet down if some of current GM Kevin Cheveldayoff’s biggest draft picks make an impact on the NHL club.
More specifically, the 2013-14 season might just mark a time where Mark Scheifele (seventh pick overall in 2011) and/or Jacob Trouba (ninth overall in 2012) help the team take another step forward.*
Scheifele, 20, has waited patiently as other high picks including Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Gabriel Landeskog and Jonathan Huberdeau have made splashes at the highest level. He didn’t make beat around the push discussing how much he wants to make the team when asked by the Canadian Press.
“My goal is to earn a spot on the Jets, and that’s what I’m going to go to camp and do, and do whatever it takes to get that spot,” Scheifele said on Monday.
Forwards tend to come along more quickly than defensemen, so it’s hard to imagine Scheifele being denied once more.
Trouba, 19, might face slightly longer odds. Still, he believes it’s “very realistic” that he could make the team.
On paper, it seems more than reasonable for these two young prospects to make the squad. The Jets front office must determine if the developmental risk/reward takeaway is worth it, however.
Ultimately, it’s likely just a matter of time.
* – Or at least fill the gaps left behind by players leaving for the KHL.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)