Aug 22, 2013, 10:33 PM EST
While some look at this summer as an example of the Winnipeg Jets loading up for a big advancement, others wonder if the core of the team has really changed all that much since Rick Dudley’s brief run as the GM.
Perhaps those calls will quiet down if some of current GM Kevin Cheveldayoff’s biggest draft picks make an impact on the NHL club.
More specifically, the 2013-14 season might just mark a time where Mark Scheifele (seventh pick overall in 2011) and/or Jacob Trouba (ninth overall in 2012) help the team take another step forward.*
Scheifele, 20, has waited patiently as other high picks including Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Gabriel Landeskog and Jonathan Huberdeau have made splashes at the highest level. He didn’t make beat around the push discussing how much he wants to make the team when asked by the Canadian Press.
“My goal is to earn a spot on the Jets, and that’s what I’m going to go to camp and do, and do whatever it takes to get that spot,” Scheifele said on Monday.
Forwards tend to come along more quickly than defensemen, so it’s hard to imagine Scheifele being denied once more.
Trouba, 19, might face slightly longer odds. Still, he believes it’s “very realistic” that he could make the team.
On paper, it seems more than reasonable for these two young prospects to make the squad. The Jets front office must determine if the developmental risk/reward takeaway is worth it, however.
Ultimately, it’s likely just a matter of time.
* – Or at least fill the gaps left behind by players leaving for the KHL.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)