Aug 22, 2013, 5:18 PM EDT
The Blackhawks have agreed to a three-year, entry-level deal with Teuvo Teravainen, the club announced on Thursday.
Teravainen, 18, was Chicago’s first-round pick (18th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft and spent last season with Jokerit of Finland’s SM-liiga.
It was with Jokerit where Teravainen’s stock skyrocketed. Despite being one of the youngest players in the league, he finished fifth on the team in scoring (31 points in 44 games) and finished fourth on the team in goals, with 13.
In August, ‘Hawks GM Stan Bowman raved about Teravainen’s potential.
“We’re really looking forward to having him in a Blackhawks uniform at some point because he’s a special player,” Bowman said, as per ESPN Chicago. “I think he’s going to electrify fans for a long time.
“Teuvo, I think is going to be a superb talent when he gets here.”
Teravainen was expected to return to Jokerit for the 2013-14 season, then make his way over to North America the following year. It remains to be see if today’s signing changes that plan any.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)