Aug 22, 2013, 5:18 PM EDT
The Blackhawks have agreed to a three-year, entry-level deal with Teuvo Teravainen, the club announced on Thursday.
Teravainen, 18, was Chicago’s first-round pick (18th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft and spent last season with Jokerit of Finland’s SM-liiga.
It was with Jokerit where Teravainen’s stock skyrocketed. Despite being one of the youngest players in the league, he finished fifth on the team in scoring (31 points in 44 games) and finished fourth on the team in goals, with 13.
In August, ‘Hawks GM Stan Bowman raved about Teravainen’s potential.
“We’re really looking forward to having him in a Blackhawks uniform at some point because he’s a special player,” Bowman said, as per ESPN Chicago. “I think he’s going to electrify fans for a long time.
“Teuvo, I think is going to be a superb talent when he gets here.”
Teravainen was expected to return to Jokerit for the 2013-14 season, then make his way over to North America the following year. It remains to be see if today’s signing changes that plan any.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)