Aug 22, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
Sergey Tolchinsky might end up being the poster child for dreamers hoping to land a spot on an NHL team by wowing them in a short window of time.
In Tolchinsky’s case, he turned some heads during the Carolina Hurricanes’ prospect camp in July. While the team might also have been impressed with his work in the OHL, it’s likely the 18-year-old earned a three-year entry-level contract on Thursday because of his worth during that camp.
The under-sized forward’s contract breaks down as such:
First and second seasons: $550K at the NHL level, $67,500 in the AHL
Third: $575K in the NHL, $67,500 in the AHL
The contract also calls for a $150K signing bonus.
To little surprise, Tolchinksky is excited. In fact, he posted a photo of the signing on his Instagram account:
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)