Aug 22, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
Sergey Tolchinsky might end up being the poster child for dreamers hoping to land a spot on an NHL team by wowing them in a short window of time.
In Tolchinsky’s case, he turned some heads during the Carolina Hurricanes’ prospect camp in July. While the team might also have been impressed with his work in the OHL, it’s likely the 18-year-old earned a three-year entry-level contract on Thursday because of his worth during that camp.
The under-sized forward’s contract breaks down as such:
First and second seasons: $550K at the NHL level, $67,500 in the AHL
Third: $575K in the NHL, $67,500 in the AHL
The contract also calls for a $150K signing bonus.
To little surprise, Tolchinksky is excited. In fact, he posted a photo of the signing on his Instagram account:
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 20
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17