Aug 22, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
Sergey Tolchinsky might end up being the poster child for dreamers hoping to land a spot on an NHL team by wowing them in a short window of time.
In Tolchinsky’s case, he turned some heads during the Carolina Hurricanes’ prospect camp in July. While the team might also have been impressed with his work in the OHL, it’s likely the 18-year-old earned a three-year entry-level contract on Thursday because of his worth during that camp.
The under-sized forward’s contract breaks down as such:
First and second seasons: $550K at the NHL level, $67,500 in the AHL
Third: $575K in the NHL, $67,500 in the AHL
The contract also calls for a $150K signing bonus.
To little surprise, Tolchinksky is excited. In fact, he posted a photo of the signing on his Instagram account:
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 1
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 36
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 42
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (134)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)