Aug 22, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
Sergey Tolchinsky might end up being the poster child for dreamers hoping to land a spot on an NHL team by wowing them in a short window of time.
In Tolchinsky’s case, he turned some heads during the Carolina Hurricanes’ prospect camp in July. While the team might also have been impressed with his work in the OHL, it’s likely the 18-year-old earned a three-year entry-level contract on Thursday because of his worth during that camp.
The under-sized forward’s contract breaks down as such:
First and second seasons: $550K at the NHL level, $67,500 in the AHL
Third: $575K in the NHL, $67,500 in the AHL
The contract also calls for a $150K signing bonus.
To little surprise, Tolchinksky is excited. In fact, he posted a photo of the signing on his Instagram account:
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)