Aug 22, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
Sergey Tolchinsky might end up being the poster child for dreamers hoping to land a spot on an NHL team by wowing them in a short window of time.
In Tolchinsky’s case, he turned some heads during the Carolina Hurricanes’ prospect camp in July. While the team might also have been impressed with his work in the OHL, it’s likely the 18-year-old earned a three-year entry-level contract on Thursday because of his worth during that camp.
The under-sized forward’s contract breaks down as such:
First and second seasons: $550K at the NHL level, $67,500 in the AHL
Third: $575K in the NHL, $67,500 in the AHL
The contract also calls for a $150K signing bonus.
To little surprise, Tolchinksky is excited. In fact, he posted a photo of the signing on his Instagram account:
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)