Aug 22, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
Once again, the St. Louis Blues provided a non-update to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch regarding unsigned star Alex Pietrangelo on Thursday. At this point, it’s clear this situation could stretch intro training camp (and possibly the regular season).
It’s worth mentioning that the 23-year-old standpoint is represented by Newport Sports, whose clients P.K. Subban, Drew Doughty and Ryan O’Reilly missed regular season games while they were mired in their own contract negotiations.
There’s still plenty of time for Pietrangelo and the Blues to avoid such a scenario, however.
One option the Post-Dispatch brought up with GM Doug Armstrong is signing a “bridge” contract rather than a long-term deal. (Perhaps this would echo the settlement Subban reached with the Montreal Canadiens.)
Armstrong mentioned earlier this month that he wants both sides to feel like they got a fair deal.
“It’s just finding out is it a maximum-term contract of eight years or do both sides feel it’s better to go short?” Armstrong said. “We’re going to work hand-in-hand with Alex because it’s not a win-lose. We’re hoping to find a win-win for both sides.”
We’ll see if Pietrangelo needs to watch the Blues win and lose for a while before getting that win-win deal, though.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)