Aug 22, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
Once again, the St. Louis Blues provided a non-update to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch regarding unsigned star Alex Pietrangelo on Thursday. At this point, it’s clear this situation could stretch intro training camp (and possibly the regular season).
It’s worth mentioning that the 23-year-old standpoint is represented by Newport Sports, whose clients P.K. Subban, Drew Doughty and Ryan O’Reilly missed regular season games while they were mired in their own contract negotiations.
There’s still plenty of time for Pietrangelo and the Blues to avoid such a scenario, however.
One option the Post-Dispatch brought up with GM Doug Armstrong is signing a “bridge” contract rather than a long-term deal. (Perhaps this would echo the settlement Subban reached with the Montreal Canadiens.)
Armstrong mentioned earlier this month that he wants both sides to feel like they got a fair deal.
“It’s just finding out is it a maximum-term contract of eight years or do both sides feel it’s better to go short?” Armstrong said. “We’re going to work hand-in-hand with Alex because it’s not a win-lose. We’re hoping to find a win-win for both sides.”
We’ll see if Pietrangelo needs to watch the Blues win and lose for a while before getting that win-win deal, though.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)