Aug 21, 2013, 9:24 PM EDT
To many, the Tampa Bay Lightning replaced long-time center Vinny Lecavalier with Valtteri Filpulla this summer.
While the former Detroit Red Wings center seems primed to fill that second-line pivot spot, Bolts GM Steve Yzerman told NHL.com that he’s expecting to see a player with different strengths.
“Val is a totally different type of player than Vinny,” Yzerman said. “He’s a good, solid, all-around complete player who checks and wins faceoffs. We can score goals, but we need to become a better defensive team, and Val is the type of player who can play that game, in all those situations.”
It’s also plausible that 2013 second overall pick Jonathan Drouin can help make up some of the offensive punch that the Lightning lost with Lecavalier’s buyout.
Regardless, Filppula wants to create more offense than he did in a tough 2013 season.
Yzerman would gladly take that, and strong puck possession from the 29-year-old after handing him a five-year, $25 million contract.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 16
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)