Trotz on the Wild: ‘I want to kick their butt’ for ‘stealing’ Suter

Aug 21, 2013, 1:55 PM EST

Barry Trotz AP

Nashville coach Barry Trotz isn’t the kind of guy you’d assume to be a guy who’d make bold declarations in the media, but that’s just what he did today.

Trotz appeared on Nashville radio station 102.5 The Game and the talk of playing against new divisional foes came up and, of course, Ryan Suter‘s name came up. Dirk Hoag at On The Forecheck lays it out.

“We’ve got to start new rivalries, like us and Minnesota,” Trotz said. “They stole Ryan Suter, so I want to kick their butt, plain and simple.”

One good way to start a new rivalry is to not get over a guy signing elsewhere in free agency the way Suter did. Predators fans only had one opportunity to boo Suter on their ice last season and, let’s face facts here, games between the Wild and Predators aren’t exactly barn-burners.

Some added fire would do these teams some good. With the new divisions and Nashville and Minnesota being paired up in the Central and fighting it out with each other for a playoff spot, a rivalry might just happen.

It won’t happen because Minnesota “stole” Suter by backing up the Brink’s Truck and dumping $98 million on his front step though.

1. bruinpred - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:05 PM

It will help the rivalry if the opponent has Matt Cooke on the team.

2. gooterbaby - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Did Shea Weber ever sign a contract?…so much coverage about Suter I wonder if Weber could get a better contract with more term and salary?…maybe he even tried to sign for a different team? Idk Im oblivious.

3. titansbro - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:20 PM

They didn’t steal him, they just overpaid for him. Can’t blame the Wild though. Blame Suter for lying to your face telling you he wanted to stay so you wouldn’t trade him in the last year of his deal. Scumbag move, but you gotta move on.

• lbeezyse - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM

overpaid? lets put this into perspective.

Suter cap hit 7.5 mil (got snubbed in Norris voting)

Weber 7.8 mill rather pedestrian last year
      B. Campbell 7.1 mil
      Doughty 7.0 mil
      D. Boyle 6.6 mil
      Phaneuf 6 mil
      mike Green 6.0 mil.

I’d say Suter is worth more than any of those guys & that is why he got the big contract. I think Weber misses Suter much much more than Suter misses Weber. Don’t get me wrong, Weber is a great D-man, but I would rather have the iron man Suter.

• findthetwine - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:49 PM

LOL… overpaid, you do follow hockey and remember that he was being offered more $$ elsewhere, right?

4. axisofweasels - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:20 PM

NECK FIGHT!

5. 19to77 - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:50 PM

“Steal”? The Preds let him go to UFA and he chose to leave. Unlike Weber, who signed an offer sheet from another team and forced them to pay the figure he wanted, Suter gave them a fair chance to negotiate.

6. vstar1us - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Ok it been a year since the Wild stole Suter, so now you want to beat them! Suter made a choice and the choice was the Wild, love it since he went to the Wild but I think he could have done better. No one but the Wild would pull the trigger, so he went with the MONEY….,

• lordfletcher - Aug 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM

“No one but the Wild would pull the trigger, so he went with the MONEY….,”

I wish it were possible to pimp slap someone over the internet.

7. drhockeysm7 - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Apparently Barry Trotz doesn’t care about the Wild “Stealing” Jonathan Blum eh?

One thing is for certain, the new divisions will be fun to watch from a Minnesota Wild fan perspective, renewing some old rivalries, and likely putting a competitive team on the ice for years to come!

8. lostpuppysyndrome - Aug 21, 2013 at 3:17 PM

HAHA! Ya sad-sack hoser! Can’t wait to see the Wild (and Jets) give Trashville the ol’ ground-n-pound this year. Just more fuel for the fire there, Trotzy. “They stole Suter” my butt. Guy walked away on his own volition. Did ya miss how quick Weber was to sign that offer from Philly? Obviously Trotz ain’t the problem, but a couple good D-men and an elite goalie do not a Stanley Cup win. Mr. Poile needs to find a way to stanch the bleeding, and bringing Stalberg and Cully on board ain’t the answer. Speaking of which: HEY, YOU STOLE CULLEN! YOUR @SS IS GRASS, NASHVILLE!

• drhockeysm7 - Aug 21, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Agreed, Nashville should pay Cullen to play for MN! I actually thought Cullen would play for less to stick around on a good team with a lot of potential, towards the end of his career. Not to mention, play for the state he was born in… Oh well, I am confident our young guns will soon allow us to forget about Matty C!

• deathbyspl - Aug 22, 2013 at 6:44 AM

If you think the Jets are going to give anyone in this division anything resembling a ground and pound then your opinion is null and void.

My condolences to the city of Winnipeg…but come on, you’re still the Thrashers.

• lostpuppysyndrome - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I’ll admit, this ain’t the SouthLeast anymore. However, the Jets managed to put in a good poundin’ a few times to various teams within the past couple years, though probably receiving at least double in return. This year though, I’m going to call the Jets the most underrated team in the Central, if not the rest of the league. Their ownership and mgmt clearly believes in them judging by the contracts they handed out over summer, Byfuglien has slimmed WAY down (partially due to the wildcard Olympic invite I suspect), Setoguchi can hopefully pair well with Kane, and Scheifele should be making his way on to the team to center the 2nd line. We’re still the Thrashers to the extent that we kept the good parts and shed all the dead weight. Can’t wait for this season to finally get some good rivalries going!

9. bellicosejeff - Aug 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM

The only thing funnier than Trotz’s comment is the negative reaction from it. Yes, there are even preds fans on preds sites bashing Trotz for his comments.

To me it was just a lighthearted quip about our new division opponent. Trotz has been around the league a while now. I’m pretty sure he’s well aware of offseason procedures and what a player being labeled UFA means. He knows the Wild didn’t steal Suter, good lord. Like the Wild broke into Suter’s house in the darkness of night and ganked him, forcing him to play hockey in Minnesota.

I haven’t been able to listen to the interview. Once I can I’ll come back and comment. My guess is he was joking around with interviewers at that point. Maybe he wasn’t, like I said haven’t heard it. Either way, the wild didn’t steal Suter. Now Suter’s actions and words leading up to his departure pissed off Preds fans and brass for sure so you never know, he may actually be pissed at him. Although apparently we’re not allowed to be upset with Suter according to Wild fans. And I get it, he’s their new golden boy having played a half a season worth of games, compared to the SEVEN seasons we watched him play and all the years reading and hearing about his development after drafting him, but whatever. We got Weber, Josi, and now Jones. Unless it’s international play, I do not care about Suter…..on the ice that is. I certainly wouldn’t wish him harm either….off the ice that is.

Peace and chicken grease!

10. bellicosejeff - Aug 21, 2013 at 4:46 PM

@gooterbaby (did i get the name right?) Can’t reply directly on PHT mobile.

I can be smart as well!! He did sign a contract….with Nashville. Oh yes, I see what you tried to do there, and kudos for the attempt. He signed an offer sheet with Philadelphia not a contract. We matched the offer sheet and he signed a contract with Nashville. Now I will give you we didn’t offer him the deal he signed, but he was offered contracts by us. Poile didn’t do cap circumventing mega deals. After the prospect of playing with Suter vanished he decided he wanted a mega deal. Shea was told we’ll match any offer put in on him. So if he thought signing a 14 year deal with Phili as an RFA was his way out of Nashville he’s either very stupid or his agents are because (obviously) we matched. Maybe it was more about getting one of those mega deals before that last CBA expired than it was about wanting to play in Phili? I’m sure he picked them because IF NASHVILLE DIDN’T MATCH he’d like to play there. But lets not act like he wanted out, if he really did he’s an idiot for signing a 14 year offer sheet. He could have requested a trade or only accepted a short term deal from us to get to UFA status sooner. I don’t think Shea is an idiot. He fine playing in Nashville. That whole deal was about MONEY, and he sure got him some. He can probably thank Brett Wilson (our billionaire part owner) personally for picking up most of that tab haha.

11. bellicosejeff - Aug 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM

@gooterbaby

If you actually see my other reply. After going back and reading your comment again you may not have been ripping the Preds as I originally thought. I would think most if not all hockey fans are well aware of last offseason’s Weber debacle, maybe not. If you weren’t ripping that situation please except my apology. If you were well, I guess it would change nothing haha. It’s not like we know each other personally.

12. rebekah319 - Aug 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I really thought Nashville was over this apparently I was very wrong!! The Wild did not “Steal” Suter lets just get that straight! He chose to come her. I mean really how long does it take to get over something? Nashville still has a good D core so I would think this issue would have been laid to rest!

13. bellicosejeff - Aug 21, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Ok I listened to it, did anyone who decided to rip the Preds over this bother listening? Probably not, in the interview they were taking about division rivals. Specifically how the Red Wings are now gone and wondering who our new rival will be. And in a very tongue and cheek manner Trotz said “Minnesota stole Suter from us so we have to kick their butts.” You can tell by his tone he’s not angry. They didn’t harp on Suter either, that’s all he said. Also he probably meant “stole” as in they have him now. Not that they took him via some backhanded treachery.

Good lord people.

Nashville, never mention Suter again, we’re not allowed to have feelings about him or mention his name apparently. Lord help us when we boo him again….oh God NO, not…..BOOING!!!!

• lostpuppysyndrome - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:09 AM

One shouldn’t have to even listen to the recording to know Trotzy’s just trying to get under Minnesota’s skin. Unless you’re a complete moron, which Trotz clearly is not, no coach would make outlandish statements like that without a wry smile and a gleam in their eye. The great thing about it is he’s buying into the new rivalries, and when you get team organizations into it alongside the fans, it brings rivalries to a whole new level. As a Jets and Wild fan, I’ve been dreaming over this season.

14. bigal5888 - Aug 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM

You can’t read too much into what the coach said. Consider this more like hyping up a fight. It’s a good way to get your fans pumped up. As a wild fan, I look forward to the new rivalries in the division! I can’t wait for a full season of hockey!

15. deathbyspl - Aug 22, 2013 at 6:39 AM

I love the Preds’ idea of offseason promotion by getting bad publicity. Yellow ice, Clune making fun of Dallas, blackhawks tickets, and now Suter. Colorado and Winnipeg, you’re next!!

Hopefully this will end up in having a lot of really fun division games this year.

16. jacketsfan7 - Aug 22, 2013 at 7:36 AM

It’ll also help the rivalry if he said “kick their ass” were not in 2nd grade trotz it’s okay to say a tiny swear word

17. mnwildnstar - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:03 PM

blah, blah, blah… just drop the puck and lets settle this.

Coaches in and out of the hot seat

Top 10 NHL Player Searches