Aug 21, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
No doubt about it, zombies are a huge part of pop culture right now, so it’s no surprise that the shuffling masses are invading the NHL.
In this case, they’re showing up on Philadelphia Flyers goalie Steve Mason‘s next mask. Mason, 25, hasn’t been shy about playing up horror movie themes on his masks before, but he looks to really outdo himself in 2013-14 by combining that zombie imagery with icons from American history.
NHL.com tracked down his mask designer Franny Drummond for an inside look at the creative process, which you can soak in via the video below:
Too bad there isn’t any room for a vampire-hunting Abraham Lincoln, though.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 30
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)