Aug 21, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
No doubt about it, zombies are a huge part of pop culture right now, so it’s no surprise that the shuffling masses are invading the NHL.
In this case, they’re showing up on Philadelphia Flyers goalie Steve Mason‘s next mask. Mason, 25, hasn’t been shy about playing up horror movie themes on his masks before, but he looks to really outdo himself in 2013-14 by combining that zombie imagery with icons from American history.
NHL.com tracked down his mask designer Franny Drummond for an inside look at the creative process, which you can soak in via the video below:
Too bad there isn’t any room for a vampire-hunting Abraham Lincoln, though.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 22
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 72
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)