Aug 21, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
No doubt about it, zombies are a huge part of pop culture right now, so it’s no surprise that the shuffling masses are invading the NHL.
In this case, they’re showing up on Philadelphia Flyers goalie Steve Mason‘s next mask. Mason, 25, hasn’t been shy about playing up horror movie themes on his masks before, but he looks to really outdo himself in 2013-14 by combining that zombie imagery with icons from American history.
NHL.com tracked down his mask designer Franny Drummond for an inside look at the creative process, which you can soak in via the video below:
Too bad there isn’t any room for a vampire-hunting Abraham Lincoln, though.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 23
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 40
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 29
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 24
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 58
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6