Aug 21, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
No doubt about it, zombies are a huge part of pop culture right now, so it’s no surprise that the shuffling masses are invading the NHL.
In this case, they’re showing up on Philadelphia Flyers goalie Steve Mason‘s next mask. Mason, 25, hasn’t been shy about playing up horror movie themes on his masks before, but he looks to really outdo himself in 2013-14 by combining that zombie imagery with icons from American history.
NHL.com tracked down his mask designer Franny Drummond for an inside look at the creative process, which you can soak in via the video below:
Too bad there isn’t any room for a vampire-hunting Abraham Lincoln, though.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)