Aug 21, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
Signing Daniel Alfredsson was the headline-grabbing move of the Detroit Red Wings’ summer, but it wasn’t the biggest one. Instead, that came in an intriguing gamble: handing former Florida Panthers forward Stephen Weiss a five-year, $24.5 million contract to essentially replace Valtteri Filpulla.
In an ideal world, Weiss will fit in seamlessly to the Detroit machine. He’s a versatile forward whose two-way play often got lost in the obscurity that comes with playing in Florida. (Weiss even fits in with an aging core, as he’s logged a lot of mileage at 30.)
Weiss’ contract year was anything but ideal, though.
He was limited just 13 games and the results were pitiful; he scored just four points and registered a -13 rating, needing four contests to register his first shot on goal in 2013.
Beyond the awful run, his injury concerns are significant worry for a player signing a substantial contract.
On the bright side, he’s the type of free agent acquisition who isn’t striving to become his new team’s best player. As Weiss told the National Post, it seems that his goal is merely to fit right in.
“There really wasn’t a lot of thought going into [the deal with Detroit],” Weiss said. “To join an organization like this is pretty special for me. [Yzerman] was one of my favourite players, no doubt. He’s a guy I looked up to for sure. But I’m not dreaming about trying to go in there and doing something similar. Hopefully I can just help out.”
Detroit likely hopes that he’ll help out quite a bit.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Replaced by Andre Benoit.
Nov 26, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Was hurt during Tuesday’s practice.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
Two teams meet for the second time this season.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:12 PM EST
After an injury to Brian Elliott.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Yappy Lappy was at it again.
Nov 26, 2014, 4:06 PM EST
“Anybody can GM, anybody can be a president… whether you’re going to be good at it or not, who knows.”
Nov 26, 2014, 3:54 PM EST
San Jose coach is feeling the heat.
Nov 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
Click for video of the incident.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:57 PM EST
Minny dominated L.A. early in the season, but lost 2-1.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 26, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Originally out 4-6 weeks, he’s back in just over three.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:04 PM EST
But how much public money will be required?
Nov 26, 2014, 1:03 PM EST
The Blues are one of the few teams in the NHL with a surplus of quality centers.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:57 PM EST
Jordan Binnington on his way up to St. Louis.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:22 PM EST
What are the chances the Islanders, Leafs, Predators, Canucks, Flames and Jets can hang on?
Nov 26, 2014, 12:11 PM EST
Fall from grace for the former 30-goal scorer.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:42 AM EST
Out “a couple of weeks” with a lower-body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
Arizona forward forced the Avs d-man from the game.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Dallas forward does have a history with the NHL’s player safety department.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:58 AM EST
To cheer, or boo? That’s the query.
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 13
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 12
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)