Aug 21, 2013, 8:50 PM EST
James Reimer has every right to be bitter about the Toronto Maple Leafs’ decision to trade for Jonathan Bernier. That seemed to be true at first, but Reimer indicated to TSN that he’s using it as motivation.
He also hopes to foster a respectful relationship with his new platoon mate.
“It’s really important to get along,” Reimer said. “I think when you do and you play similar and you’re on the same page, I think it gives you another set of eyes, almost like a goalie coach sitting on the bench watching you play every game.”
Bernier is no stranger to battling for starts, which he noted to NHL.com.
“I’m used to it,” Bernier said. “I’m sure they made the trade because they thought we could have a pretty good battle between me and Reimer, and that’s what I’m looking for, to get a chance to prove what I can do and get some playing time and hopefully fit well on my new team.”
It’s early, but both netminders seem like they’re carrying a healthy attitude into their battle. For now, at least.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)