Aug 21, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
James Reimer has every right to be bitter about the Toronto Maple Leafs’ decision to trade for Jonathan Bernier. That seemed to be true at first, but Reimer indicated to TSN that he’s using it as motivation.
He also hopes to foster a respectful relationship with his new platoon mate.
“It’s really important to get along,” Reimer said. “I think when you do and you play similar and you’re on the same page, I think it gives you another set of eyes, almost like a goalie coach sitting on the bench watching you play every game.”
Bernier is no stranger to battling for starts, which he noted to NHL.com.
“I’m used to it,” Bernier said. “I’m sure they made the trade because they thought we could have a pretty good battle between me and Reimer, and that’s what I’m looking for, to get a chance to prove what I can do and get some playing time and hopefully fit well on my new team.”
It’s early, but both netminders seem like they’re carrying a healthy attitude into their battle. For now, at least.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)