Aug 21, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
James Reimer has every right to be bitter about the Toronto Maple Leafs’ decision to trade for Jonathan Bernier. That seemed to be true at first, but Reimer indicated to TSN that he’s using it as motivation.
He also hopes to foster a respectful relationship with his new platoon mate.
“It’s really important to get along,” Reimer said. “I think when you do and you play similar and you’re on the same page, I think it gives you another set of eyes, almost like a goalie coach sitting on the bench watching you play every game.”
Bernier is no stranger to battling for starts, which he noted to NHL.com.
“I’m used to it,” Bernier said. “I’m sure they made the trade because they thought we could have a pretty good battle between me and Reimer, and that’s what I’m looking for, to get a chance to prove what I can do and get some playing time and hopefully fit well on my new team.”
It’s early, but both netminders seem like they’re carrying a healthy attitude into their battle. For now, at least.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 38
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 99
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (99)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)