Aug 21, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
James Reimer has every right to be bitter about the Toronto Maple Leafs’ decision to trade for Jonathan Bernier. That seemed to be true at first, but Reimer indicated to TSN that he’s using it as motivation.
He also hopes to foster a respectful relationship with his new platoon mate.
“It’s really important to get along,” Reimer said. “I think when you do and you play similar and you’re on the same page, I think it gives you another set of eyes, almost like a goalie coach sitting on the bench watching you play every game.”
Bernier is no stranger to battling for starts, which he noted to NHL.com.
“I’m used to it,” Bernier said. “I’m sure they made the trade because they thought we could have a pretty good battle between me and Reimer, and that’s what I’m looking for, to get a chance to prove what I can do and get some playing time and hopefully fit well on my new team.”
It’s early, but both netminders seem like they’re carrying a healthy attitude into their battle. For now, at least.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)