Aug 21, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Hurricanes captain Eric Staal is back skating in Raleigh to prepare for the season and he’s feeling good.
Staal returned to North Carolina after an offseason that saw him suffer a scary knee injury during World Championships at the hands (er, knee) of Sweden’s Alex Edler. He tells Chip Alexander of the News & Observer he’s doing quite well.
“It felt good,” he said. “It has been no issue here for a little bit now. It’s good to be back and it felt strong. I feel good.”
I wonder if he feels good?
That’s a relief for Carolina fans and coaches alike to hear. Even better still, Staal skated without a brace on his knee as well. He and the team both said he would be ready for training camp, but sometimes seeing is believing.
Staal didn’t need surgery for the knee Edler attempted to blow up with his wicked knee-on-knee hit but he said he began skating two weeks ago at home in Canada. You’d have to think with the progress he’s made he’ll be good to go for camp in a few weeks.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)