Aug 21, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Hurricanes captain Eric Staal is back skating in Raleigh to prepare for the season and he’s feeling good.
Staal returned to North Carolina after an offseason that saw him suffer a scary knee injury during World Championships at the hands (er, knee) of Sweden’s Alex Edler. He tells Chip Alexander of the News & Observer he’s doing quite well.
“It felt good,” he said. “It has been no issue here for a little bit now. It’s good to be back and it felt strong. I feel good.”
I wonder if he feels good?
That’s a relief for Carolina fans and coaches alike to hear. Even better still, Staal skated without a brace on his knee as well. He and the team both said he would be ready for training camp, but sometimes seeing is believing.
Staal didn’t need surgery for the knee Edler attempted to blow up with his wicked knee-on-knee hit but he said he began skating two weeks ago at home in Canada. You’d have to think with the progress he’s made he’ll be good to go for camp in a few weeks.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 0
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 19
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)