Aug 21, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
Hurricanes captain Eric Staal is back skating in Raleigh to prepare for the season and he’s feeling good.
Staal returned to North Carolina after an offseason that saw him suffer a scary knee injury during World Championships at the hands (er, knee) of Sweden’s Alex Edler. He tells Chip Alexander of the News & Observer he’s doing quite well.
“It felt good,” he said. “It has been no issue here for a little bit now. It’s good to be back and it felt strong. I feel good.”
I wonder if he feels good?
That’s a relief for Carolina fans and coaches alike to hear. Even better still, Staal skated without a brace on his knee as well. He and the team both said he would be ready for training camp, but sometimes seeing is believing.
Staal didn’t need surgery for the knee Edler attempted to blow up with his wicked knee-on-knee hit but he said he began skating two weeks ago at home in Canada. You’d have to think with the progress he’s made he’ll be good to go for camp in a few weeks.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 17
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 74
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (74)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)