Aug 21, 2013, 7:53 PM EDT
The first day of free agency is often marked by something bordering on lunacy, but every now and then, there’s a perfect match between a team and a player. Derek Roy might just be that guy for the St. Louis Blues.
A pivotal season
At 30, Roy’s career is at a fork in the road.
For years, he was a franchise player with the Buffalo Sabres, yet injuries and an off-year or two prompted them to trade him to the Dallas Stars. While he put up respectable numbers (22 points in 30 games), he never really “clicked” in Dallas, and the same can be said for his brief stay with the Vancouver Canucks.
Two or three years of turbulence helped the Blues sign Roy for a relative bargain at $4 million over one year, but they want him to be more than just a good deal.
Weak down the middle
It’s reasonable to argue that St. Louis has been faulty at the center position in recent years, at least compared to other areas that boast substantial talent.
The Blues have operated with Selke-quality winger David Backes at center for some time now, and that might be the case as well in 2013-14. Still, with Roy and Alexander Steen in the mix, it’s plausible that a weakness could actually morph into a solid strength next season.
Ken Hitchcock’s crew has weathered injuries and various surprises the last two seasons, so it’s probably not fair to say that they need Roy to produce.
A matter of expectations
That viewpoint probably changes if the Blues want to be a team that legitimately competes for the Stanley Cup (rather than a playoff spot), though.
In the end, both have a lot to gain or lose. At this point, St. Louis probably cannot settle for another first-round exit. Meanwhile, Roy stares down the prospect of becoming a journeyman player, particularly if this season doesn’t work out.
More from Blues day at PHT
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 17
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 32
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)