Aug 20, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT
When a team fails, fans and pundits often blame the best players. While it’s true that the Minnesota Wild’s top guns shot blanks in the 2013 playoffs, the bottom line is that their big-name guys carried them last season and will need to do the same in 2013-14.
Sure, it’s true that young players like Charlie Coyle and Jonas Brodin, and Mikael Granlund could take the next step forward, but Minnesota’s offseason indicates that they’re only going to depend more on a select group of contributors.
Whether it be via trades or free agent departures, the Wild said goodbye to four of their top-10 scorers from 2013 during this summer. Saying goodbye to Matt Cullen and Devin Setoguchi might hurt the most.
Pominville, 30, managed nine points in 10 regular season contests with Minnesota, so it could be a big year for him. He joins fading sniper Dany Heatley as the team’s biggest contract year wildcards.
Potentially embattled head coach Mike Yeo must determine if it’s best to load up with a Parise – Koivu – Pominville line or if he should spread the wealth.
Barring some unexpected breakthroughs, it’s tough to imagine Minnesota boasting a balanced attack in 2013-14, so it might all come down to some heavy lifting from the guys taking home the biggest checks.
More from Wild day at PHT
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)