Aug 20, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT
When a team fails, fans and pundits often blame the best players. While it’s true that the Minnesota Wild’s top guns shot blanks in the 2013 playoffs, the bottom line is that their big-name guys carried them last season and will need to do the same in 2013-14.
Sure, it’s true that young players like Charlie Coyle and Jonas Brodin, and Mikael Granlund could take the next step forward, but Minnesota’s offseason indicates that they’re only going to depend more on a select group of contributors.
Whether it be via trades or free agent departures, the Wild said goodbye to four of their top-10 scorers from 2013 during this summer. Saying goodbye to Matt Cullen and Devin Setoguchi might hurt the most.
Pominville, 30, managed nine points in 10 regular season contests with Minnesota, so it could be a big year for him. He joins fading sniper Dany Heatley as the team’s biggest contract year wildcards.
Potentially embattled head coach Mike Yeo must determine if it’s best to load up with a Parise – Koivu – Pominville line or if he should spread the wealth.
Barring some unexpected breakthroughs, it’s tough to imagine Minnesota boasting a balanced attack in 2013-14, so it might all come down to some heavy lifting from the guys taking home the biggest checks.
More from Wild day at PHT
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 4
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)