Aug 20, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT
When a team fails, fans and pundits often blame the best players. While it’s true that the Minnesota Wild’s top guns shot blanks in the 2013 playoffs, the bottom line is that their big-name guys carried them last season and will need to do the same in 2013-14.
Sure, it’s true that young players like Charlie Coyle and Jonas Brodin, and Mikael Granlund could take the next step forward, but Minnesota’s offseason indicates that they’re only going to depend more on a select group of contributors.
Whether it be via trades or free agent departures, the Wild said goodbye to four of their top-10 scorers from 2013 during this summer. Saying goodbye to Matt Cullen and Devin Setoguchi might hurt the most.
Pominville, 30, managed nine points in 10 regular season contests with Minnesota, so it could be a big year for him. He joins fading sniper Dany Heatley as the team’s biggest contract year wildcards.
Potentially embattled head coach Mike Yeo must determine if it’s best to load up with a Parise – Koivu – Pominville line or if he should spread the wealth.
Barring some unexpected breakthroughs, it’s tough to imagine Minnesota boasting a balanced attack in 2013-14, so it might all come down to some heavy lifting from the guys taking home the biggest checks.
More from Wild day at PHT
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 7
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 11
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 9
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 19
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)