Sharks unveil new, slightly tweaked uniforms

Aug 20, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT

Ah, the joys of the offseason when our thoughts turn from free agent signings to teams changing their uniforms.

The San Jose Sharks are the latest to do so and it’s just a few polite alterations to their home and away jerseys. The team, calling it “The Next Wave,” unveiled their new look on their website and if you haven’t watched much of the Sharks lately you may not see what’s different.

First the home jersey as modeled by captain Joe Thornton:

source:

And the road whites as worn by Dan Boyle:

source:

So what’s different? The stripes at the bottom are gone as are the black shoulder yokes. They’ve also eliminated one of the orange stripes on the sleeves. Essentially, they’ve made their new jerseys out to be just like their black third jerseys (which they’re still going to wear) and that’s OK.

It’s a cleaner, neater look and hey, it gives Sharks fans and jersey nuts a reason to go drop some more bank on new gear.

1. phillyphanatic77 - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I actually liked the home jersey’s better before the alterations. The black ones are still sick though.

2. canadianguest - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Shark should have a “hockey leggings leg with skate on” hanging from the mouth, not a hockey stick. The hockey stick just looks like a tooth pick. Something graphic to bring in the teens and increase the young fan base.

3. ibieiniid - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:10 PM

those practice jerseys are cool. what’s that you say? those are the home jerseys?

-______-

• westinpat - Aug 20, 2013 at 2:01 PM

That was my first reaction to these “redesigns”.

4. multiplemiggs - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:15 PM

looks like a toothpick? ok so lets replace it with Gary Bettmans head

• ibieiniid - Aug 20, 2013 at 2:04 PM

multiplemiggs (yesterday on a diff post): “All anyone cares about is queers. Why do we need queers in sports?”

i don’t care what you say, i’ll be giving you a thumbs down from here on out.

5. sjsharks66 - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Exactly what I thought! They look like practice jerseys.
    Not very excited about these but I will still bleed teal even if they wore paper bags as jerseys.

6. pizzaman77 - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Memo to the Sabres: quit “teasing” the new 3rd jersey on instagram and just unveil it already

7. govtminion - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Not a fan of it, I actually preferred the ones they wore the past few years. I miss the black shoulders.

8. ethanmacleod1685 - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I think there f***ing gorgeous. Well done SJS

9. bleedingteal4life - Aug 20, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I have to say I like the old sweaters better. At least black isn’t going anywhere

10. Ryan Shannon - Aug 20, 2013 at 2:31 PM

these are great… practice uniforms

11. thailer35 - Aug 20, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I was thoroughly concerned they got rid of the black thirds when I saw these pictures. Easily their best looking jersey.

12. nogoodtomedead - Aug 20, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I don’t get this at all. I agree with all the comments about them being practice jerseys. They are just less detailed versions of the jerseys they already wore- comes off like an f-you from ownership to the fans- who just went through purchasing new jerseys a few years ago. Might as well wear the black all the time at home now. These new jerseys suck.

13. afrancis55 - Aug 20, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Will they still have their black sweaters as well?

• ibieiniid - Aug 20, 2013 at 3:08 PM

“Essentially, they’ve made their new jerseys out to be just like their black third jerseys (which they’re still going to wear) and that’s OK.”

Articles: Not just pictures of things.

14. titansrbeast - Aug 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Wtf, they don’t look like practice jerseys at all. I don’t get how you all can say that lol, I think these are a much nicer look, I think the teal home will stand out great now WITHOUT the waist stripe. All teal jersey with black pants sounds/looks sick to me. And tbh I LOVE the away jersey. Can’t wait to see em’ on the ice.

• ethanmacleod1685 - Aug 20, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Totally agree

15. tdrusher225 - Aug 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Whites are okay, but I don’t get why they want to change anything. They look like practice jerseys.

16. billyhauntswizards - Aug 20, 2013 at 6:49 PM

eh. I liked the old SJ jerseys, thought they were among the best in the league.

17. girouxed - Aug 20, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Ehh. I like the white jerseys

18. mrpinkca - Aug 20, 2013 at 9:44 PM

The white jerseys are great. The home ones need a black collar or something, they look like practice jerseys.

19. ryanw822 - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:01 PM

If it was 1997 and I was designing a uniform on my computer that I bought from CompUSA, it would look exactly like these uniforms.

atleast San Jose is getting away from those awful all black combo.

20. hieronymous27 - Aug 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM

The UNI’S the Sharks wore the first year when they entered the NHL remain the best. Never should have changed them.

21. allday420ap - Aug 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Well there certainly better than those awful dallas ones.

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches