Aug 20, 2013, 10:55 AM EST
The final player the Detroit Red Wings had to get under contract is finally in the fold.
The team announced the signing of restricted free agent Gustav Nyquist to a two-year deal. Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports the contract is worth a total of $1.9 million, good for a team-friendly cap hit of $950,000.
Nyquist had an opportunity to emerge last season with Detroit and took advantage of it scoring three goals and three assists in 22 games. It was in the playoffs, however, where he made more of an impact with two goals and three assists that included an overtime winner in Game 2 against Anaheim.
Last season, he put up monster numbers in the AHL with Grand Rapids when not in Detroit and was an AHL All-Star. This season, he should get plenty of time to show what he’s got as a full-time NHL player.
Now the Red Wings will have to figure out who amongst their 16 signed forwards stays and who goes as they’ll have to get under the salary cap to start the year.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)