Aug 20, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
If you haven’t been keeping tabs on the Maple Leafs this summer, restricted free agent Nazem Kadri is still unsigned.
After breaking out last season, Kadri is in position to cash in and he told Lance Hornby of the Toronto Sun he’s trying to be cool about it.
Kadri on his stalled Leaf contract: “I know I’m being pretty reasonable, taking cap into consideration, when really, that’s not my job."—
Lance Hornby (@sunhornby) August 20, 2013
See, he’s trying to be considerate of the cap but he’s also dealing out a ton of truth. It’s not his job to do that. It’s his job to score goals and get paid whatever he can to do it.
This is where Leafs GM Dave Nonis has put himself in a bit of a bind with the big deals he handed to David Clarkson and Tyler Bozak. Burning compliance buyouts on Mikhail Grabovski and Mike Komisarek drew plenty of criticism as it was while other players could’ve been chosen.
Now he’s got to find a way to appease both remaining RFAs and stay under the cap. Leafs faithful has to hope Nonis has a trade trick up his sleeve to solve this situation.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)