Aug 20, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Winnipeg prospect Mark Scheifele has been putting in his time in junior hockey preparing for his time to become the superstar the Jets front office hopes he’ll be.
As Tyler Harper of the Canadian Press reports, he’ll have his first real opportunity to prove he belongs and he’s going all out to do it.
“My goal is to earn a spot on the Jets, and that’s what I’m going to go to camp and do, and do whatever it takes to get that spot,” he said.
At 20-years-old, Scheifele’s options are to either make the Jets roster and show that the big numbers he put up with the OHL Barrie Colts weren’t an illusion or spend his first pro season in AHL St. John’s for more refinement. After putting up 39 goals and 79 points in 45 games with Barrie last season, the Jets sure hope his skill hasn’t topped out there.
For what it’s worth, in 11 career games with Winnipeg, Scheifele has just one goal and no assists while playing mostly limited minutes.
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Capitals 0
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 2
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 14
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 56
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)