Aug 20, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
Winnipeg prospect Mark Scheifele has been putting in his time in junior hockey preparing for his time to become the superstar the Jets front office hopes he’ll be.
As Tyler Harper of the Canadian Press reports, he’ll have his first real opportunity to prove he belongs and he’s going all out to do it.
“My goal is to earn a spot on the Jets, and that’s what I’m going to go to camp and do, and do whatever it takes to get that spot,” he said.
At 20-years-old, Scheifele’s options are to either make the Jets roster and show that the big numbers he put up with the OHL Barrie Colts weren’t an illusion or spend his first pro season in AHL St. John’s for more refinement. After putting up 39 goals and 79 points in 45 games with Barrie last season, the Jets sure hope his skill hasn’t topped out there.
For what it’s worth, in 11 career games with Winnipeg, Scheifele has just one goal and no assists while playing mostly limited minutes.
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 6
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)