Aug 20, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
Winnipeg prospect Mark Scheifele has been putting in his time in junior hockey preparing for his time to become the superstar the Jets front office hopes he’ll be.
As Tyler Harper of the Canadian Press reports, he’ll have his first real opportunity to prove he belongs and he’s going all out to do it.
“My goal is to earn a spot on the Jets, and that’s what I’m going to go to camp and do, and do whatever it takes to get that spot,” he said.
At 20-years-old, Scheifele’s options are to either make the Jets roster and show that the big numbers he put up with the OHL Barrie Colts weren’t an illusion or spend his first pro season in AHL St. John’s for more refinement. After putting up 39 goals and 79 points in 45 games with Barrie last season, the Jets sure hope his skill hasn’t topped out there.
For what it’s worth, in 11 career games with Winnipeg, Scheifele has just one goal and no assists while playing mostly limited minutes.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 6
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)