Aug 20, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Winnipeg prospect Mark Scheifele has been putting in his time in junior hockey preparing for his time to become the superstar the Jets front office hopes he’ll be.
As Tyler Harper of the Canadian Press reports, he’ll have his first real opportunity to prove he belongs and he’s going all out to do it.
“My goal is to earn a spot on the Jets, and that’s what I’m going to go to camp and do, and do whatever it takes to get that spot,” he said.
At 20-years-old, Scheifele’s options are to either make the Jets roster and show that the big numbers he put up with the OHL Barrie Colts weren’t an illusion or spend his first pro season in AHL St. John’s for more refinement. After putting up 39 goals and 79 points in 45 games with Barrie last season, the Jets sure hope his skill hasn’t topped out there.
For what it’s worth, in 11 career games with Winnipeg, Scheifele has just one goal and no assists while playing mostly limited minutes.
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 3
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 15
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 31
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)