It’s Minnesota Wild day on PHT

Aug 20, 2013, 9:15 AM EST

Zach Parise Getty Images

Throughout the month of August, PHT will be dedicating a day to all 30 NHL clubs. Today’s team? The Minnesota Wild.

Last season was a great one as far as Wild fans should be concerned. The team returned to the playoffs after a four-year absence. Their offseason acquisitions (Zach Parise and Ryan Suter) had big seasons as Parise led the team in scoring and Suter was a Norris Trophy-caliber player.

As far as Wild management is concerned, last season was the first step towards eventually bringing a Stanley Cup to Minnesota. They’ve got a host of young players with sky-high potential and a taste for what the postseason is like. Can they make another step forward this season or was last year a fortunate turn of events because of a shortened schedule?

Offseason recap

For a team that made the postseason, the Wild had a bit of an overhaul this summer. Out went Devin Setoguchi (traded to Winnipeg) and Cal Clutterbuck was sent to the Islanders for young hopeful Nino Niederreiter.

In free agency, forwards Matt Cullen (Nashville) and Pierre-Marc Bouchard (Islanders) headed elsewhere while Matt Cooke, Keith Ballard, and Jonathon Blum jumped on board. The Cooke signing created some anxiety with Wild fans and columnists as they parted ways with the popular Clutterbuck to bring a guy with a bad reputation on board.

Free agency isn’t where the sparks for this team will come from as they’ve got young guys like Charlie Coyle, Mikael Granlund, Jason Zucker, and rookie phenom Jonas Brodin to help carry them forward. At least, that’s what coach Mike Yeo hopes for.

Related:

Introducing: PHT’s ‘Team of the Day’ summer series

1. girouxed - Aug 20, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Woohooo!

2. lbeezyse - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:05 AM

The Wild are going to be young. Out went Butch, Cully, Clutter, Seto. In comes Nino & the rookies. Coyle should be second line center with Zucker &/or Heatley/Nino/Granny. Haula will be fighting for a spot as well. Our only weakness I see is our 3rd pairing of D-men. I can’t stand Stoner & wish him to be gone. He is too soft for his size. I am not sold on Ballard playing on the 2nd pairing with Spurgeon. I’d much rather see Scandella esp after his performance against the Hawks in the playoffs. He impressed me more than any of the others outside of Suter/Brodin/Spurgeon.

I personally like to Cooke signing, but I still don’t like him as a player. Players weren’t afraid of retaliation for running our stars with Clutter/Konpka on the ice. Cooke will change that dynamic & keep other teams more honest.

3. ashtongronholz8 - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Finally

4. tlow97 - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM

All will be forgotten when Cooke lays a big-ass hit on one of the sisters.

Glad we’ve finally been able to unload some of the trash (Bouchard, Clutterbuck, Setoguchi). Need to get more hunger and consistency in there, so I’m glad we’re going young.

5. jcmeyer10 - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Went to a Wild game at the Xcel Center and had a wonderful time. Never saw a Northstars game but can’t imagine they lost any enthusiasm for their home town team since picking up the Wild.

Pops is from Minneapolis so they will always be my Western Conference team unless they play the B’s.

6. allday420ap - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Biggest offseason loss: Matt Cullen

Hopefully our younger guys can replace some of his speed and tenacity, while Cooke can help replace the veteran presence.

• gooterbaby - Aug 20, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Well be fine without him. Always struggles or gets injured down the stretch which only adds to the Wild’s issue of stinking up the ice at the end of the season.

• lbeezyse - Aug 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I think we’ll be fine without Cullen. Him & Seto’s success was short lived & just showed how each player was streaky. Zucker should more than make up for his loss of speed.

I’d take Nino, Cooke, cap space (which is important this offseason…Vanek cough cough)& roster spots over resigning Cullen, Clutter, Butch & Seto any day. We all know Nino has star potential, now he needs to make good on it. I don’t think the Isles used him correctly on the 3rd & 4th lines. I hope the change of scenery & a chance to play top 6 will bring him along.

7. thecheeman - Aug 20, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Not a whole lot of Wild posting going on today.

8. vstar1us - Aug 20, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Well the reason for the lack of PHT Wild stuff is we are a small market team! I am a Wild season ticket holder and a die hard Wild fan, but one must understand we weak hockey market even thou we claim to be the State of Hockey. If you follow NHL.com you see articles about teams for everything, we have sports writers in our market area that only cover the Wild during the season. I know there is a lot of things going on with the Wild thru out the year, we need to get those stories out. Player work outs, player community involvement, player charities. There are stories we just need to promote them. Once again we are ” The State of Hockey” not………

I am in Afghanistan now will miss preseason, but hope to be home for the home opener!

9. r4n6er - Aug 20, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I am not a wild fan, however my buddy is and that means I tend to watch more Wild games then I should. The one guy that I liked watching every shift was Cal Clutterbuck. I can’t believe that you guys gave him up. Is this something that the diehard Wild fan understands because I am stumped.

10. blomfeld - Aug 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Dennis Hextall, Bill Goldsworthy, Danny Grant, Jean-Paul Parise, Fred Stanfield, Jude Drouin, Barry Gibbs, Murray Oliver, Fred “Buster” Harvey, Lou Nanne, Gary Bergman, Tom Reid, Tony Featherstone, Dennis O’Brien, Gary Gambucci, Fred Barrett, Alain Langlais, John Rogers, Dean Prentice, Terry Holbrook, Rod Norrish, Rick Chinnick, Chris Ahrens, Ted Harris, Bill Plager, Jerry Byers, Blake Dunlop, Fern Rivard, Lorne “Gump” Worsley, Cesare Maniago …

as an ardent ‘sexy’ and values-driven fan of the glorious LA Kings, I wish nothing but the best for the Wild of Minnesota ! … always have and always will …

GO WILD GO !!! … TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!!!!

11. rgledz - Aug 21, 2013 at 1:17 AM

@blomfeld…….I like the list, but it’s not a North Stars list without Broten, Bellows, Ciccarelli and Modano.

12. vstar1us - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Sad Wild got 14 comments and I had to do 3 of them.

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches