Aug 20, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
One of the things that helped attract Zach Parise and Ryan Suter to Minnesota last summer was the wealth of young talent in the Wild pipeline. Last season, a few of those guys had a chance to show what they were made of.
Coyle broke out last season and earned a spot on the Wild’s top line playing right wing alongside Parise and Mikko Koivu. After tallying eight goals and six assists in 37 games and adding two more helpers in the playoffs, he showed that he’s got the game to keep up with the big boys.
Before you question that, know that Coyle’s natural position is at the pivot and both he and Granlund have tremendous offensive upside. After seeing Granlund bounce between the Wild and the AHL last season, you have to think Coyle has the advantage.
What’s important to note here is that one of those two players has to step up for the Wild to be a playoff team again. Minnesota’s dedication to them ensured that Matt Cullen would leave as a free agent, signing with Nashville for two years.
Kyle Brodziak is a solid centerman, but if the Wild are counting on him to play on the second line should Coyle or Granlund struggle, that’s a bad sign. If there’s something a team counting on young players to step up doesn’t need it’s seeing both of their top prospects fall short of expectations.
Given what Coyle showed last season and the confidence GM Chuck Fletcher and coach Mike Yeo have shown in him, things are looking up for fans in Minnesota.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)