Aug 20, 2013, 5:05 PM EST
If you assess “earning” something by how resilient someone needs to be, then Zach Boychuk certainly earned the one-year, two-way contract that the Carolina Hurricanes handed him on Tuesday.
The 23-year-old forward wore a Hurricanes uniform to begin 2013, but that would serve to be a short-lived role.
He played one game for Carolina before being acquired via waivers by the Pittsburgh Penguins. He played seven games for Pittsburgh without registering a single point before the Nashville Predators managed to scoop him up on waivers, too. (He had a little more luck in Nashville, scoring his lone goal and assist of the season in five contests.)
The deal is worth $550K at the NHL level and $105K if he merely sticks in the AHL.
Considering the year he just had, Boychuk probably hopes he can at least stay in the Hurricanes organization, even if most of his time comes with the Charlotte Checkers.
For the sake of fun, here are shots from his three stays with NHL teams last season, all via Getty Images:
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 37
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)