Aug 20, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
If you assess “earning” something by how resilient someone needs to be, then Zach Boychuk certainly earned the one-year, two-way contract that the Carolina Hurricanes handed him on Tuesday.
The 23-year-old forward wore a Hurricanes uniform to begin 2013, but that would serve to be a short-lived role.
He played one game for Carolina before being acquired via waivers by the Pittsburgh Penguins. He played seven games for Pittsburgh without registering a single point before the Nashville Predators managed to scoop him up on waivers, too. (He had a little more luck in Nashville, scoring his lone goal and assist of the season in five contests.)
The deal is worth $550K at the NHL level and $105K if he merely sticks in the AHL.
Considering the year he just had, Boychuk probably hopes he can at least stay in the Hurricanes organization, even if most of his time comes with the Charlotte Checkers.
For the sake of fun, here are shots from his three stays with NHL teams last season, all via Getty Images:
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)