Aug 20, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
If you assess “earning” something by how resilient someone needs to be, then Zach Boychuk certainly earned the one-year, two-way contract that the Carolina Hurricanes handed him on Tuesday.
The 23-year-old forward wore a Hurricanes uniform to begin 2013, but that would serve to be a short-lived role.
He played one game for Carolina before being acquired via waivers by the Pittsburgh Penguins. He played seven games for Pittsburgh without registering a single point before the Nashville Predators managed to scoop him up on waivers, too. (He had a little more luck in Nashville, scoring his lone goal and assist of the season in five contests.)
The deal is worth $550K at the NHL level and $105K if he merely sticks in the AHL.
Considering the year he just had, Boychuk probably hopes he can at least stay in the Hurricanes organization, even if most of his time comes with the Charlotte Checkers.
For the sake of fun, here are shots from his three stays with NHL teams last season, all via Getty Images:
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)