Aug 20, 2013, 5:05 PM EST
If you assess “earning” something by how resilient someone needs to be, then Zach Boychuk certainly earned the one-year, two-way contract that the Carolina Hurricanes handed him on Tuesday.
The 23-year-old forward wore a Hurricanes uniform to begin 2013, but that would serve to be a short-lived role.
He played one game for Carolina before being acquired via waivers by the Pittsburgh Penguins. He played seven games for Pittsburgh without registering a single point before the Nashville Predators managed to scoop him up on waivers, too. (He had a little more luck in Nashville, scoring his lone goal and assist of the season in five contests.)
The deal is worth $550K at the NHL level and $105K if he merely sticks in the AHL.
Considering the year he just had, Boychuk probably hopes he can at least stay in the Hurricanes organization, even if most of his time comes with the Charlotte Checkers.
For the sake of fun, here are shots from his three stays with NHL teams last season, all via Getty Images:
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 89
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (89)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)