Aug 20, 2013, 5:05 PM EST
If you assess “earning” something by how resilient someone needs to be, then Zach Boychuk certainly earned the one-year, two-way contract that the Carolina Hurricanes handed him on Tuesday.
The 23-year-old forward wore a Hurricanes uniform to begin 2013, but that would serve to be a short-lived role.
He played one game for Carolina before being acquired via waivers by the Pittsburgh Penguins. He played seven games for Pittsburgh without registering a single point before the Nashville Predators managed to scoop him up on waivers, too. (He had a little more luck in Nashville, scoring his lone goal and assist of the season in five contests.)
The deal is worth $550K at the NHL level and $105K if he merely sticks in the AHL.
Considering the year he just had, Boychuk probably hopes he can at least stay in the Hurricanes organization, even if most of his time comes with the Charlotte Checkers.
For the sake of fun, here are shots from his three stays with NHL teams last season, all via Getty Images:
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)