Aug 19, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
The NHL won’t have Michael Leighton to kick around this season.
The former Flyers and, more recently, Blue Jackets goalie is off to the KHL to play for Donbass Donetsk in the Ukraine according to the team’s website.
Leighton is best known as the goalie who helped lead the Flyers to the Stanley Cup Final in 2010, but his career since then has seen him battle injury, bouts in the AHL and a trade to Columbus last season.
Last season, he played in just one game for the Flyers and was bombed on for five goals allowed in a loss to Tampa Bay. With Donbass, he’ll get to suit up with former Flyers teammates Ruslan Fedotenko and Oskars Bartulis.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)