Aug 19, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
Larry Brooks of the New York Post spoke with former Vezina Trophy winner and finds out he’s happy where he is and is looking forward to a new season with a new coach.
“If we can find a solution, it’s no secret that this is where I want to be; I’m not thinking about free agency at all,” said Lundqvist “The way the organization has treated me, the way that our team has played over the last few years, the way I feel about New York City, this is definitely the place I want to be.
“But we do have a few things we have to talk about.”
That last quote certainly comes off a bit ominous and Lundqvist goes on to tell Brooks he’d like to have a new deal done before the start of the season but it’s not necessary.
That’s probably a relief for GM Glen Sather to hear as he still has to get a deal done with restricted free agent Derek Stepan and he hasn’t even started talks with any of his impending free agents.
There’s no doubt Lundqvist can command top dollar from anyone he wants, especially the Rangers. With the cap set to go up again next season, that will only serve to line his pockets a bit more and ensure he can be a Ranger for life or go to the highest bidder for a long time.
At 31-years-old, a max deal with the Rangers would take him to age 39. Works out perfectly, wouldn’t you say?
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)