Aug 19, 2013, 3:33 PM EST
Larry Brooks of the New York Post spoke with former Vezina Trophy winner and finds out he’s happy where he is and is looking forward to a new season with a new coach.
“If we can find a solution, it’s no secret that this is where I want to be; I’m not thinking about free agency at all,” said Lundqvist “The way the organization has treated me, the way that our team has played over the last few years, the way I feel about New York City, this is definitely the place I want to be.
“But we do have a few things we have to talk about.”
That last quote certainly comes off a bit ominous and Lundqvist goes on to tell Brooks he’d like to have a new deal done before the start of the season but it’s not necessary.
That’s probably a relief for GM Glen Sather to hear as he still has to get a deal done with restricted free agent Derek Stepan and he hasn’t even started talks with any of his impending free agents.
There’s no doubt Lundqvist can command top dollar from anyone he wants, especially the Rangers. With the cap set to go up again next season, that will only serve to line his pockets a bit more and ensure he can be a Ranger for life or go to the highest bidder for a long time.
At 31-years-old, a max deal with the Rangers would take him to age 39. Works out perfectly, wouldn’t you say?
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)