Aug 19, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
Larry Brooks of the New York Post spoke with former Vezina Trophy winner and finds out he’s happy where he is and is looking forward to a new season with a new coach.
“If we can find a solution, it’s no secret that this is where I want to be; I’m not thinking about free agency at all,” said Lundqvist “The way the organization has treated me, the way that our team has played over the last few years, the way I feel about New York City, this is definitely the place I want to be.
“But we do have a few things we have to talk about.”
That last quote certainly comes off a bit ominous and Lundqvist goes on to tell Brooks he’d like to have a new deal done before the start of the season but it’s not necessary.
That’s probably a relief for GM Glen Sather to hear as he still has to get a deal done with restricted free agent Derek Stepan and he hasn’t even started talks with any of his impending free agents.
There’s no doubt Lundqvist can command top dollar from anyone he wants, especially the Rangers. With the cap set to go up again next season, that will only serve to line his pockets a bit more and ensure he can be a Ranger for life or go to the highest bidder for a long time.
At 31-years-old, a max deal with the Rangers would take him to age 39. Works out perfectly, wouldn’t you say?
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 0
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 18
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 7
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 55
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (55)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)