Aug 19, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Remember the rumors of there being issues between Blues goalie Jaroslav Halak and coach Ken Hitchcock at the end of last season? There was even talk that it could lead to the goalie being moved this summer.
“He’s a really young guy and you don’t want to have an injury-plagued career. So he wanted take the question marks out of it by having a really high fitness level. He’s done a really good job of finding that fitness level.”
Part of the talk of that discord last season centered around him not getting into games late in the season. As it turned out, he just wasn’t 100 percent healthy.
Even more encouraging for Halak was the talk from Hitchcock how he didn’t lose his starting job because of his play but because of his health. Since there will be three-way competition to play in St. Louis between him, Brian Elliott, and Jake Allen, things are looking up for Halak.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 94
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5