Aug 19, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks goalie coach Jaakko Rosendahl told ESPN Chicago that Antti Raanta’s lighthearted approach makes him “different from any other goalies.”
While that might mean Raanta could provide a good one-liner every now and then, Rosendahl also said that his disposition can bring some advantages on the ice.
“Before games — two hours before a game — he was like some guy who came off the street and into the locker room. ‘Hey, let’s go.’ He’s not heavy,” Rosendahl said. “He’s not going to feel like not talking to anyone. He’s relaxed. That’s why he keeps so much in the game.”
(Of course, this could open the door from some dreadful “is Raanta really focused on the game?” type speculation in the future …)
It’s probably an exaggeration to say that Raanta, 24, is the lone exception among funny/free-spirited netminders. Roberto Luongo‘s (alleged?) Twitter account and even some high comedy from lesser known players such as Ben Scrivens points to these guys being almost as funny as they are strange.
Regardless, Raanta might end up being Chicago’s goalie of the future – especially if Corey Crawford becomes a salary cap casualty – so having a solid sense of humor could help him cope with championship expectations.
(AP photo via ESPN Chicago.)
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)