Aug 19, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks goalie coach Jaakko Rosendahl told ESPN Chicago that Antti Raanta’s lighthearted approach makes him “different from any other goalies.”
While that might mean Raanta could provide a good one-liner every now and then, Rosendahl also said that his disposition can bring some advantages on the ice.
“Before games — two hours before a game — he was like some guy who came off the street and into the locker room. ‘Hey, let’s go.’ He’s not heavy,” Rosendahl said. “He’s not going to feel like not talking to anyone. He’s relaxed. That’s why he keeps so much in the game.”
(Of course, this could open the door from some dreadful “is Raanta really focused on the game?” type speculation in the future …)
It’s probably an exaggeration to say that Raanta, 24, is the lone exception among funny/free-spirited netminders. Roberto Luongo‘s (alleged?) Twitter account and even some high comedy from lesser known players such as Ben Scrivens points to these guys being almost as funny as they are strange.
Regardless, Raanta might end up being Chicago’s goalie of the future – especially if Corey Crawford becomes a salary cap casualty – so having a solid sense of humor could help him cope with championship expectations.
(AP photo via ESPN Chicago.)
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 0
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 26
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 28
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)