Aug 19, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks goalie coach Jaakko Rosendahl told ESPN Chicago that Antti Raanta’s lighthearted approach makes him “different from any other goalies.”
While that might mean Raanta could provide a good one-liner every now and then, Rosendahl also said that his disposition can bring some advantages on the ice.
“Before games — two hours before a game — he was like some guy who came off the street and into the locker room. ‘Hey, let’s go.’ He’s not heavy,” Rosendahl said. “He’s not going to feel like not talking to anyone. He’s relaxed. That’s why he keeps so much in the game.”
(Of course, this could open the door from some dreadful “is Raanta really focused on the game?” type speculation in the future …)
It’s probably an exaggeration to say that Raanta, 24, is the lone exception among funny/free-spirited netminders. Roberto Luongo‘s (alleged?) Twitter account and even some high comedy from lesser known players such as Ben Scrivens points to these guys being almost as funny as they are strange.
Regardless, Raanta might end up being Chicago’s goalie of the future – especially if Corey Crawford becomes a salary cap casualty – so having a solid sense of humor could help him cope with championship expectations.
(AP photo via ESPN Chicago.)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 11
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 4
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 28
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)