Aug 19, 2013, 10:39 PM EST
Chicago Blackhawks goalie coach Jaakko Rosendahl told ESPN Chicago that Antti Raanta’s lighthearted approach makes him “different from any other goalies.”
While that might mean Raanta could provide a good one-liner every now and then, Rosendahl also said that his disposition can bring some advantages on the ice.
“Before games — two hours before a game — he was like some guy who came off the street and into the locker room. ‘Hey, let’s go.’ He’s not heavy,” Rosendahl said. “He’s not going to feel like not talking to anyone. He’s relaxed. That’s why he keeps so much in the game.”
(Of course, this could open the door from some dreadful “is Raanta really focused on the game?” type speculation in the future …)
It’s probably an exaggeration to say that Raanta, 24, is the lone exception among funny/free-spirited netminders. Roberto Luongo‘s (alleged?) Twitter account and even some high comedy from lesser known players such as Ben Scrivens points to these guys being almost as funny as they are strange.
Regardless, Raanta might end up being Chicago’s goalie of the future – especially if Corey Crawford becomes a salary cap casualty – so having a solid sense of humor could help him cope with championship expectations.
(AP photo via ESPN Chicago.)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 40
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 5
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 16
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 56
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (56)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (40)