Aug 19, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Say what you will about the Colorado Avalanche but one thing you have to admit is they’re loaded with talent up the middle.
They were already a strong team last season at the center position with Paul Stastny, a revitalized Matt Duchene, and a retained Ryan O’Reilly. This summer they added No. 1 overall pick in the draft Nathan MacKinnon and suddenly the Avs aren’t lacking for scoring ability anywhere at the pivot.
With four guys who could run the show at center, coach Patrick Roy already said he was relieving the logjam by moving O’Reilly to left wing to relieve the pressure. It’s a good problem to have if you’re a first-time NHL coach but it shows how much the Avalanche have going for them.
As it is, Roy mapped out how he sees his top three lines as is and it looks good.
If MacKinnon comes as advertised, the Avs are rolling with three lines that can put the puck in the net. McGinn has shown the ability to finish and Downie, who’s returning from injury, can score a little and get rough as needed.
There’s a lot to like about what the Avs have going up front and the kind of production they got from Duchene (17-26-43) and Stastny (9-15-24) last season shows the top two lines will be well taken care of. Duchene and Parenteau each had 43 points last year. A healthy Landeskog and Tanguay should help Stastny pick up his offense.
If nothing else this season, the Avs will be able to score goals in bunches.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)