Aug 19, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
Vancouver is going to need David Booth to be a healthy contributor to the team this season. Unfortunately the part about getting healthy is proving to be difficult as he attempts to return from ankle surgery in March.
Jason Botchford of The Province reports Booth still isn’t cleared for activity and he’s also dealing with other nagging setbacks.
Continuing his recovery from March ankle surgery, Booth has had other issues, including a calf strain, as he tried to stay on track in a rehab program designed to have him healthy for September.
That could happen. But the Canucks remain unsure if Booth will be healthy when training camp begins in three weeks.
When the Canucks acquired Booth from the Florida Panthers two seasons ago, they hoped he’d slot in alongside Ryan Kesler and have instant American chemistry. Instead, the two have dealt with a myriad of ailments that derailed that plan.
As Botchford said, the team may have used a compliance buyout on Booth this summer if he were healthy. Now it’s up to Alex Burrows and youngster Nicklas Jensen to show they can carry the load while Booth gets it together.
We’re sure John Tortorella will enjoy the dearth of able wingers.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 39
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)