Aug 19, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
Vancouver is going to need David Booth to be a healthy contributor to the team this season. Unfortunately the part about getting healthy is proving to be difficult as he attempts to return from ankle surgery in March.
Jason Botchford of The Province reports Booth still isn’t cleared for activity and he’s also dealing with other nagging setbacks.
Continuing his recovery from March ankle surgery, Booth has had other issues, including a calf strain, as he tried to stay on track in a rehab program designed to have him healthy for September.
That could happen. But the Canucks remain unsure if Booth will be healthy when training camp begins in three weeks.
When the Canucks acquired Booth from the Florida Panthers two seasons ago, they hoped he’d slot in alongside Ryan Kesler and have instant American chemistry. Instead, the two have dealt with a myriad of ailments that derailed that plan.
As Botchford said, the team may have used a compliance buyout on Booth this summer if he were healthy. Now it’s up to Alex Burrows and youngster Nicklas Jensen to show they can carry the load while Booth gets it together.
We’re sure John Tortorella will enjoy the dearth of able wingers.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 2
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 8
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)