Aug 19, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
Vancouver is going to need David Booth to be a healthy contributor to the team this season. Unfortunately the part about getting healthy is proving to be difficult as he attempts to return from ankle surgery in March.
Jason Botchford of The Province reports Booth still isn’t cleared for activity and he’s also dealing with other nagging setbacks.
Continuing his recovery from March ankle surgery, Booth has had other issues, including a calf strain, as he tried to stay on track in a rehab program designed to have him healthy for September.
That could happen. But the Canucks remain unsure if Booth will be healthy when training camp begins in three weeks.
When the Canucks acquired Booth from the Florida Panthers two seasons ago, they hoped he’d slot in alongside Ryan Kesler and have instant American chemistry. Instead, the two have dealt with a myriad of ailments that derailed that plan.
As Botchford said, the team may have used a compliance buyout on Booth this summer if he were healthy. Now it’s up to Alex Burrows and youngster Nicklas Jensen to show they can carry the load while Booth gets it together.
We’re sure John Tortorella will enjoy the dearth of able wingers.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)