Aug 19, 2013, 9:44 PM EDT
Alex Galchenyuk proved to be a quick study at the NHL level, but the Montreal Canadiens seem content easing him into the two-way side of the game.
The Montreal Gazette passed along GM Marc Bergevin’s comments to The Hockey News regarding the team’s preference to keep the 19-year-old at the wing instead of center. (Center is his natural position.)
“It’s a difficult position for a young player,” Bergevin said. “We didn’t want to put a lot of pressure on him. We used him at center (in the 2013 season) on a few occasions and he did a good job, but we feel that, for the time being, he’s better off on the wing.”
Considering how exacting head coach Michel Therrien can be (and how young Galchenyuk is), it’s a reasonable approach.
Galchenyuk scored 27 points in 48 regular season game, registering a +14 rating. He generated three points in five postseason contests with a -4 mark.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
Alleged incident involved a female victim.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
As opposed to just his skill.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The former general manager “wasn’t prepared to make the changes that needed to be made.”
Jul 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
He played in 502 games, primarily with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
The 24-year-old gives agreed to an entry-level deal.
Jul 29, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Will he live up to his next contract?
Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT
“It really wasn’t about Dainius himself.”
Jul 29, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
His collection can be had for $5.7 million.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
The contest will air on Dec. 31 while the Classic itself is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. ET on Jan. 1.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
Staying healthy would help, too.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT
The Seal Beach Detention Center isn’t exactly Shawshank.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
“I relaxed down there and came back with the same attitude and everything kind of took care of itself.”
Jul 29, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Veteran forward had just four goals and six assists in 74 games last season.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:58 AM EDT
“So hopefully it’s nothing that keeps coming back.”
Jul 29, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
Can he give the Oilers the goaltending they so badly need?
Jul 29, 2015, 10:21 AM EDT
The 26-year-old goalie is coming off a tough season.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Spent last season with Lugano in the Swiss League.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Y’know, everyday stuff.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)