Aug 19, 2013, 9:44 PM EDT
Alex Galchenyuk proved to be a quick study at the NHL level, but the Montreal Canadiens seem content easing him into the two-way side of the game.
The Montreal Gazette passed along GM Marc Bergevin’s comments to The Hockey News regarding the team’s preference to keep the 19-year-old at the wing instead of center. (Center is his natural position.)
“It’s a difficult position for a young player,” Bergevin said. “We didn’t want to put a lot of pressure on him. We used him at center (in the 2013 season) on a few occasions and he did a good job, but we feel that, for the time being, he’s better off on the wing.”
Considering how exacting head coach Michel Therrien can be (and how young Galchenyuk is), it’s a reasonable approach.
Galchenyuk scored 27 points in 48 regular season game, registering a +14 rating. He generated three points in five postseason contests with a -4 mark.
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
His availability for the season opener is in doubt.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
This should be good.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
In a shocking development, “money and term” are the sticking points.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
He could face up to five years in prison.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
He was expecting a two or three year contract.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)