Aug 18, 2013, 3:54 PM EST
Did they get back on the bandwagon too late though? A statistics professor from St. Lawrence University thinks so.
Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe spoke with Michael Shuckers and he says Scuderi’s underlying statistics say he wasn’t worth the four-year, $13.5 million price tag.
“That’s the one that sticks out to me this year,” Schuckers said. “Pittsburgh is supposed to be a team that’s fairly analytic. All the analytics I’ve seen suggest he’s well past his prime.”
The analytics he’s talking about is the Corsi rating. Scuderi’s wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t $3 million-plus per year good either. Scuderi turns 38 when the deal ends. In other words, the Pens may have paid up big for a guy heading into his declining years.
We’ve seen many defensemen play deep into their 30s and some into their 40s and maintain a top level of play. Scuderi could turn out that way. Maybe.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)