Aug 18, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
Ever since Mikhail Grabovski was bought out by the Toronto Maple Leafs, it seemed likely that he’d find a new home quickly. He’s a productive center and tends to drive opponents crazy at times, especially teams he used to play for.
Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun heard from one NHL GM about why Grabovski is still waiting for an offer.
“He was trying to cash in on getting the buyout and double dipping,” a general manager said. “And once everybody who wanted a center signed them, there was no place for him to get the kind of deal he wanted.”
All right, so he’s not going to get another large contract like he did from the Leafs, but surely there are still teams out there willing to take a flier on him, right?
Just take a peek around the league at teams that could use a No. 2 center and you’ll find some teams sticking out like sore thumbs. Washington and Nashville stand out in particular. There’s still time before training camps open up and it’s hard to imagine he’ll still be without a job.
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 1
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 81
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 171
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (171)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (81)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)