Aug 18, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
At face value, Pekka Rinne didn’t handle the title of $7 million goalie very well in 2013.
His save percentage plummeted to .910 after he registered sterling .923 and .930 marks the previous two seasons. Perhaps even worse for a workhorse goalie: his record was below .500 at 15-16-8.
A closer look might argue that Rinne’s work tends to rise and fall with the way the Nashville Predators play in front of him.
Sure, you hope that a guy in his pay grade can overcome difficult circumstances, but there wasn’t as much slippage as you might expect.
The 30-year-old netminder’s even-strength save percentage was .927, which more or less falls in line with his work from recent seasons. Much of his struggles likely come in lockstep with bigger picture problems for Nashville (which probably have a least something to do with losing 2013 Norris Trophy finalist Ryan Suter).
The price of a big contract
Still, some serious pressure comes with that $7 million cap hit.
Rinne may need to steal some games to silence murmurs about that contract morphing into an albatross. It’s not particularly fair – especially considering the passive nature of his position – but that’s often how sports work.
On the bright side, the future of the defense in front of the big Finn looks increasingly bright. Shea Weber is in a select class of elite defensemen, Roman Josi is one of the league’s hidden gems and Seth Jones drew serious consideration as the top prospect from the 2013 NHL Draft.
Context likely explains some of Rinne’s best and worst moments up to this point, so the good news is that Nashville’s defensive outlook seems promising.
More from Predators day at PHT
Sep 5, 2015, 10:51 AM EDT
He excelled in the KHL.
Sep 5, 2015, 9:21 AM EDT
He’s Ottawa’s all-time leader in games played.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He’s wise to be patient with Carey Price cemented in the No. 1 spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
They previously visited Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Daniel Paille still looks for work.
Sep 4, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $950K.
Sep 4, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
Friday’s interesting tidbits in one spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.
Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 17
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)