Aug 18, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
From a quality standpoint, the Nashville Predators have some serious questions on offense. GM David Poile made sure that the “quantity” category has been covered, though.
In fact, Poile would probably be wise to ship a redundant player or two out of town.
Cap Geek lists their NHL-ready forwards at 14 right now.
One might best see the glut of similarly skilled players by looking at their candidates at center. The Predators added Matt Cullen and Matt Hendricks to a group that already included Mike Fisher, David Legwand, Colin Wilson, Paul Gaustad and Craig Smith.
Even if you believe that young forwards such as Wilson and Smith might be better off with fewer defensive responsibilities on the wing, that’s still quite an array of players who can line up in the middle.
Losing the Goose
The team could very well opt to stash players like Taylor Beck in the minors, yet it still seems like their forward group might be a little crowded. Can they really justify paying Gaustad $3.25 million per year if Hendricks bumps him to the fourth-line or if he even slides down to healthy scratch status, for example?
Maybe it’s a matter of assessing who fits best (and where) during training camp or finding the right trade partner at the right time, but the Predators would likely be served well to thin the herd a bit.
More from Predators day at PHT
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 21
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)