Aug 17, 2013, 10:19 AM EST
One thing you shouldn’t do is ask Detroit GM Ken Holland is if you need to have a big, physical team to win in the Eastern Conference.
That’s something a Detroit-area radio show did and Holland didn’t agree with that at all as the Detroit Free Press shares.
“A good team in the West is a good team in the East,” Holland said. He added that it’s a “complete fallacy” that the East is big and the West is small and used the Kings and Blues to demonstrate that.
Apparently seeing the Boston Bruins win the East last season provided the idea that being big in the East is what wins. Of course, the Bruins had tons of skill players to go along with their bruisers and had an easy time with the skilled, yet not-so big Penguins in the East finals. The Devils weren’t exactly monsters in 2012 either.
Perhaps the radio hosts were just stirring up another round of wondering if the Red Wings are physical enough to keep pace. They’ve done pretty well doing things how they have for the last 22 seasons.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)