Aug 17, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
Two University of Nebraska-Omaha players were dismissed from the program after their roles in sparking a fight in a local bar.
Senior co-captain Matt White and freshman Preston Hodge were tossed from the team after starting a fight in Omaha’s Old Market district that saw them using racial slurs. Rob White of the Omaha World-Herald has the story.
Witnesses told police that the hockey players had been harassing a small group of African-Americans with racial slurs and epithets around 2 a.m. Aug. 3.
The situation escalated and Hodge allegedly pushed Lamar Triplett, 26, of Omaha. Triplett said he responded by hitting Hodge and knocking him to the ground. Hodge hit his head and appeared to lose consciousness, according to a police report.
That sounds like proper karmic payback at least.
UNO athletic director Trev Alberts issued a statement on the players’ dismissal.
“We are extremely disappointed in the actions of these students; we will not tolerate any misconduct of this nature,” he said via press release. “We will continue to work diligently to ensure our student athletes understand the importance of tolerance and respect for others.”
White was third on the team in goals last season and fourth in points. A third player, senior Alex Simonson, was suspended pending review of his role in the altercation. All three players were ticketed for suspicion of misdemeanor assault.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 4
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 15
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 41
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (76)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)