Aug 17, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
Two University of Nebraska-Omaha players were dismissed from the program after their roles in sparking a fight in a local bar.
Senior co-captain Matt White and freshman Preston Hodge were tossed from the team after starting a fight in Omaha’s Old Market district that saw them using racial slurs. Rob White of the Omaha World-Herald has the story.
Witnesses told police that the hockey players had been harassing a small group of African-Americans with racial slurs and epithets around 2 a.m. Aug. 3.
The situation escalated and Hodge allegedly pushed Lamar Triplett, 26, of Omaha. Triplett said he responded by hitting Hodge and knocking him to the ground. Hodge hit his head and appeared to lose consciousness, according to a police report.
That sounds like proper karmic payback at least.
UNO athletic director Trev Alberts issued a statement on the players’ dismissal.
“We are extremely disappointed in the actions of these students; we will not tolerate any misconduct of this nature,” he said via press release. “We will continue to work diligently to ensure our student athletes understand the importance of tolerance and respect for others.”
White was third on the team in goals last season and fourth in points. A third player, senior Alex Simonson, was suspended pending review of his role in the altercation. All three players were ticketed for suspicion of misdemeanor assault.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 10
- Pens’ Rutherford to columnist: ‘You’re a (expletive) jerk’ 40
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 32
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 45
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 101
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 6
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (101)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)