Aug 17, 2013, 4:20 PM EST
Two University of Nebraska-Omaha players were dismissed from the program after their roles in sparking a fight in a local bar.
Senior co-captain Matt White and freshman Preston Hodge were tossed from the team after starting a fight in Omaha’s Old Market district that saw them using racial slurs. Rob White of the Omaha World-Herald has the story.
Witnesses told police that the hockey players had been harassing a small group of African-Americans with racial slurs and epithets around 2 a.m. Aug. 3.
The situation escalated and Hodge allegedly pushed Lamar Triplett, 26, of Omaha. Triplett said he responded by hitting Hodge and knocking him to the ground. Hodge hit his head and appeared to lose consciousness, according to a police report.
That sounds like proper karmic payback at least.
UNO athletic director Trev Alberts issued a statement on the players’ dismissal.
“We are extremely disappointed in the actions of these students; we will not tolerate any misconduct of this nature,” he said via press release. “We will continue to work diligently to ensure our student athletes understand the importance of tolerance and respect for others.”
White was third on the team in goals last season and fourth in points. A third player, senior Alex Simonson, was suspended pending review of his role in the altercation. All three players were ticketed for suspicion of misdemeanor assault.
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 13
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 30
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)