Aug 17, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Now that the Phoenix Coyotes have new owners, they’re looking forward to helping establish the team’s hold in the desert. Of course, that won’t stop some from looking at the five-year out-clause IceArizona has.
As Coyotes Chairman and Governor George Gosbee tells The Canadian Press, they have no plans or intent to move it or lose it.
“It’s frustrating for me because for this exit clause to kick in, we have to lose $50 million and that’s not something I want to do,” Gosbee said. “We came into this to build a successful organization in Phoenix and that’s our plan. We have no plans of relocating anywhere else and we have no plans to lose $50 million, I can tell you that.”
Well that’s a relief!
Snark aside, it’s good to know Gosbee and Anthony LeBlanc along with rest of the IceArizona group know what they’re getting into. The job they’ve got to do to further inspire fans to come out to Glendale won’t be easy. Or maybe it will be if fans were merely staying away because they didn’t want their hearts ripped out if the team moved.
The best thing they can do is make sure they ice an entertaining and competitive team.
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 77
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 27
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 6
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 5
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (74)