Aug 17, 2013, 6:13 PM EST
While Ottawa Senators grapple with Daniel Alfredsson‘s departure, the Detroit Red Wings seem delighted. Just ask head coach Mike Babcock.
Babcock described the “unbelievable” coup to Detroit Sports 105.1 FM last week, which the Detroit Free Press transcribed.
“We are so lucky and thrilled to have him, it’s not even funny,” Babcock said.
He detailed three things that stand out about the 40-year-old winger:
1. He’s an “ultra-competitive guy … an elite competitor.”
2. Babcock raved about Alfredsson’s hockey IQ, comparing it to Pavel Datsyuk‘s hockey mind.
3. Maybe most interestingly, Babcock raved about the Swede’s right-handed shot:
“We haven’t had a bomb like that on the power play since (Brendan) Shanahan left, from the right side,” Babcock said.
So, yes, Babcock is excited about the Red Wings’ shocking free agent acquisition.
- BREAKING: Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM 9
- Mike Richards clears waivers 22
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)