Aug 17, 2013, 6:13 PM EST
While Ottawa Senators grapple with Daniel Alfredsson‘s departure, the Detroit Red Wings seem delighted. Just ask head coach Mike Babcock.
Babcock described the “unbelievable” coup to Detroit Sports 105.1 FM last week, which the Detroit Free Press transcribed.
“We are so lucky and thrilled to have him, it’s not even funny,” Babcock said.
He detailed three things that stand out about the 40-year-old winger:
1. He’s an “ultra-competitive guy … an elite competitor.”
2. Babcock raved about Alfredsson’s hockey IQ, comparing it to Pavel Datsyuk‘s hockey mind.
3. Maybe most interestingly, Babcock raved about the Swede’s right-handed shot:
“We haven’t had a bomb like that on the power play since (Brendan) Shanahan left, from the right side,” Babcock said.
So, yes, Babcock is excited about the Red Wings’ shocking free agent acquisition.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 38
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 25
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)