Aug 17, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
While Ottawa Senators grapple with Daniel Alfredsson‘s departure, the Detroit Red Wings seem delighted. Just ask head coach Mike Babcock.
Babcock described the “unbelievable” coup to Detroit Sports 105.1 FM last week, which the Detroit Free Press transcribed.
“We are so lucky and thrilled to have him, it’s not even funny,” Babcock said.
He detailed three things that stand out about the 40-year-old winger:
1. He’s an “ultra-competitive guy … an elite competitor.”
2. Babcock raved about Alfredsson’s hockey IQ, comparing it to Pavel Datsyuk‘s hockey mind.
3. Maybe most interestingly, Babcock raved about the Swede’s right-handed shot:
“We haven’t had a bomb like that on the power play since (Brendan) Shanahan left, from the right side,” Babcock said.
So, yes, Babcock is excited about the Red Wings’ shocking free agent acquisition.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (87)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)