Aug 17, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
While Ottawa Senators grapple with Daniel Alfredsson‘s departure, the Detroit Red Wings seem delighted. Just ask head coach Mike Babcock.
Babcock described the “unbelievable” coup to Detroit Sports 105.1 FM last week, which the Detroit Free Press transcribed.
“We are so lucky and thrilled to have him, it’s not even funny,” Babcock said.
He detailed three things that stand out about the 40-year-old winger:
1. He’s an “ultra-competitive guy … an elite competitor.”
2. Babcock raved about Alfredsson’s hockey IQ, comparing it to Pavel Datsyuk‘s hockey mind.
3. Maybe most interestingly, Babcock raved about the Swede’s right-handed shot:
“We haven’t had a bomb like that on the power play since (Brendan) Shanahan left, from the right side,” Babcock said.
So, yes, Babcock is excited about the Red Wings’ shocking free agent acquisition.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)