Aug 17, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
While Ottawa Senators grapple with Daniel Alfredsson‘s departure, the Detroit Red Wings seem delighted. Just ask head coach Mike Babcock.
Babcock described the “unbelievable” coup to Detroit Sports 105.1 FM last week, which the Detroit Free Press transcribed.
“We are so lucky and thrilled to have him, it’s not even funny,” Babcock said.
He detailed three things that stand out about the 40-year-old winger:
1. He’s an “ultra-competitive guy … an elite competitor.”
2. Babcock raved about Alfredsson’s hockey IQ, comparing it to Pavel Datsyuk‘s hockey mind.
3. Maybe most interestingly, Babcock raved about the Swede’s right-handed shot:
“We haven’t had a bomb like that on the power play since (Brendan) Shanahan left, from the right side,” Babcock said.
So, yes, Babcock is excited about the Red Wings’ shocking free agent acquisition.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 33
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 28
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 15
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22