Aug 16, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
For many, hockey is a welcome respite from the stresses of everyday life. Anaheim Ducks off-ice official Steven Laing knows that well.
As this fantastic NHL.com feature reveals, Laing juggles time as a senior investigator with the district attorney’s office in San Bernadino County with a gig where he does a variety of things for the Ducks, often acting as a timekeeper and goal judge.
Not surprisingly, his day job occasionally gets in the way of the Ducks gig.
“There have been times where I would be out getting called to a triple-murder and I would have to call in and let them know that I wasn’t going to be able to make it to the game [that night],” Laing said. “Whether you’re out on a fatality or domestic homicide, when you’re done with that, you get back to the station, get showered, get changed into your NHL outfit and you drive to the rink. You learn to separate what happens in the daytime and the nighttime. For me, being part of the NHL crew, hockey is my outlet.”
For more on Laing’s fascinating job(s), click here.
(Photos via Laing by way of NHL.com.)
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)