Aug 16, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
For many, hockey is a welcome respite from the stresses of everyday life. Anaheim Ducks off-ice official Steven Laing knows that well.
As this fantastic NHL.com feature reveals, Laing juggles time as a senior investigator with the district attorney’s office in San Bernadino County with a gig where he does a variety of things for the Ducks, often acting as a timekeeper and goal judge.
Not surprisingly, his day job occasionally gets in the way of the Ducks gig.
“There have been times where I would be out getting called to a triple-murder and I would have to call in and let them know that I wasn’t going to be able to make it to the game [that night],” Laing said. “Whether you’re out on a fatality or domestic homicide, when you’re done with that, you get back to the station, get showered, get changed into your NHL outfit and you drive to the rink. You learn to separate what happens in the daytime and the nighttime. For me, being part of the NHL crew, hockey is my outlet.”
For more on Laing’s fascinating job(s), click here.
(Photos via Laing by way of NHL.com.)
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 11
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 9
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 9
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 94
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)