Aug 16, 2013, 8:20 PM EST
For many, hockey is a welcome respite from the stresses of everyday life. Anaheim Ducks off-ice official Steven Laing knows that well.
As this fantastic NHL.com feature reveals, Laing juggles time as a senior investigator with the district attorney’s office in San Bernadino County with a gig where he does a variety of things for the Ducks, often acting as a timekeeper and goal judge.
Not surprisingly, his day job occasionally gets in the way of the Ducks gig.
“There have been times where I would be out getting called to a triple-murder and I would have to call in and let them know that I wasn’t going to be able to make it to the game [that night],” Laing said. “Whether you’re out on a fatality or domestic homicide, when you’re done with that, you get back to the station, get showered, get changed into your NHL outfit and you drive to the rink. You learn to separate what happens in the daytime and the nighttime. For me, being part of the NHL crew, hockey is my outlet.”
For more on Laing’s fascinating job(s), click here.
(Photos via Laing by way of NHL.com.)
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)