Aug 16, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
For many, hockey is a welcome respite from the stresses of everyday life. Anaheim Ducks off-ice official Steven Laing knows that well.
As this fantastic NHL.com feature reveals, Laing juggles time as a senior investigator with the district attorney’s office in San Bernadino County with a gig where he does a variety of things for the Ducks, often acting as a timekeeper and goal judge.
Not surprisingly, his day job occasionally gets in the way of the Ducks gig.
“There have been times where I would be out getting called to a triple-murder and I would have to call in and let them know that I wasn’t going to be able to make it to the game [that night],” Laing said. “Whether you’re out on a fatality or domestic homicide, when you’re done with that, you get back to the station, get showered, get changed into your NHL outfit and you drive to the rink. You learn to separate what happens in the daytime and the nighttime. For me, being part of the NHL crew, hockey is my outlet.”
For more on Laing’s fascinating job(s), click here.
(Photos via Laing by way of NHL.com.)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 66
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (66)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)