Steven Laing: Cop by day, off-ice NHL official by night

Aug 16, 2013, 8:20 PM EST

laing

For many, hockey is a welcome respite from the stresses of everyday life. Anaheim Ducks off-ice official Steven Laing knows that well.

As this fantastic NHL.com feature reveals, Laing juggles time as a senior investigator with the district attorney’s office in San Bernadino County with a gig where he does a variety of things for the Ducks, often acting as a timekeeper and goal judge.

Not surprisingly, his day job occasionally gets in the way of the Ducks gig.

“There have been times where I would be out getting called to a triple-murder and I would have to call in and let them know that I wasn’t going to be able to make it to the game [that night],” Laing said. “Whether you’re out on a fatality or domestic homicide, when you’re done with that, you get back to the station, get showered, get changed into your NHL outfit and you drive to the rink. You learn to separate what happens in the daytime and the nighttime. For me, being part of the NHL crew, hockey is my outlet.”

For more on Laing’s fascinating job(s), click here.

(Photos via Laing by way of NHL.com.)

1. ethanmacleod1685 - Aug 16, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Dudes got a cool life but hes still a pig

• ethanmacleod1685 - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Puck the police

• DonkeyStick - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Wow…expected this type of comment on NBA blog not NHL.

2. multiplemiggs - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:51 PM

and youre still a perp ^

3. helloname01 - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM

He’s a member of the two most hated professions.

What a dbag

• jcmeyer10 - Aug 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Yah, those guys who tell us whether it’s a goal or not are definitely the problem within NHL officiating and the guys who solve murders are the problem within the police department.

• helloname01 - Aug 18, 2013 at 8:04 PM

About .01% of police work is spent solving murders. About 75% is throwing people in cages for having the wrong plants in their pockets. The rest is spent collecting taxes via speeding tickets.

I don’t have a problem with refs but a lot of people don’t like them

4. rendy09o - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:00 AM

I basically make about………$6,000k-$8,000k a month online………. It’s enough to comfortably replace my old jobs income, especially considering I only work about 10-13 hours a week from home. go to this site home tab for more detail …. http://WWW.BAY96.COM

5. multiplemiggs - Aug 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM

are you a cop? I happen to be and your statistics are horribly off

Coaches in and out of the hot seat

Top 10 NHL Player Searches