Aug 16, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
To some, Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews represent the best duo the Chicago Blackhawks have seen since Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita. It’s hard to fathom the young duo breaking apart, but people likely never imagined Hull leaving Chicago for the WHA, either.
While it’s easier to picture a scenario where the Blackhawks franchise auctions off every core piece except Kane and Toews, it’s fun* to debate which one of the two you’d keep if you were forced to choose.
Talking up Toews
Conventional wisdom argues for Toews. The 25-year-old captain might be the prototype for an ideal NHL center: he can do just about everything well (and with stylish sideburns). Shouldn’t the foundation of your team be an all-around guy, after all?
That being said, his more rugged style has resulted in some concussion worries.
The case for Kane
The anti-Kane side is obvious enough: his tabloid-fueling off-ice incidents actually prompted some to talk trades with a straight face. Also, as a winger, he doesn’t carry the same defensive workload as a guy like Toews.
The 24-year-old’s dazzling creativity, advantage in total games played and edge in playoff production make strong cases in his favor.
Again, ignoring the “C: none of the above,” option for entertainment’s sake, cast your vote for which of the two you would keep:
* – Unless you’re a queasy Blackhawks fan, that is.
More Blackhawks day on PHT:
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)