Aug 16, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
To some, Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews represent the best duo the Chicago Blackhawks have seen since Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita. It’s hard to fathom the young duo breaking apart, but people likely never imagined Hull leaving Chicago for the WHA, either.
While it’s easier to picture a scenario where the Blackhawks franchise auctions off every core piece except Kane and Toews, it’s fun* to debate which one of the two you’d keep if you were forced to choose.
Talking up Toews
Conventional wisdom argues for Toews. The 25-year-old captain might be the prototype for an ideal NHL center: he can do just about everything well (and with stylish sideburns). Shouldn’t the foundation of your team be an all-around guy, after all?
That being said, his more rugged style has resulted in some concussion worries.
The case for Kane
The anti-Kane side is obvious enough: his tabloid-fueling off-ice incidents actually prompted some to talk trades with a straight face. Also, as a winger, he doesn’t carry the same defensive workload as a guy like Toews.
The 24-year-old’s dazzling creativity, advantage in total games played and edge in playoff production make strong cases in his favor.
Again, ignoring the “C: none of the above,” option for entertainment’s sake, cast your vote for which of the two you would keep:
* – Unless you’re a queasy Blackhawks fan, that is.
More Blackhawks day on PHT:
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 18
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 83
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 68
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (83)