Aug 16, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
To some, Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews represent the best duo the Chicago Blackhawks have seen since Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita. It’s hard to fathom the young duo breaking apart, but people likely never imagined Hull leaving Chicago for the WHA, either.
While it’s easier to picture a scenario where the Blackhawks franchise auctions off every core piece except Kane and Toews, it’s fun* to debate which one of the two you’d keep if you were forced to choose.
Talking up Toews
Conventional wisdom argues for Toews. The 25-year-old captain might be the prototype for an ideal NHL center: he can do just about everything well (and with stylish sideburns). Shouldn’t the foundation of your team be an all-around guy, after all?
That being said, his more rugged style has resulted in some concussion worries.
The case for Kane
The anti-Kane side is obvious enough: his tabloid-fueling off-ice incidents actually prompted some to talk trades with a straight face. Also, as a winger, he doesn’t carry the same defensive workload as a guy like Toews.
The 24-year-old’s dazzling creativity, advantage in total games played and edge in playoff production make strong cases in his favor.
Again, ignoring the “C: none of the above,” option for entertainment’s sake, cast your vote for which of the two you would keep:
* – Unless you’re a queasy Blackhawks fan, that is.
More Blackhawks day on PHT:
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 15
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 25
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 30
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 27
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)