Aug 16, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
To some, Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews represent the best duo the Chicago Blackhawks have seen since Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita. It’s hard to fathom the young duo breaking apart, but people likely never imagined Hull leaving Chicago for the WHA, either.
While it’s easier to picture a scenario where the Blackhawks franchise auctions off every core piece except Kane and Toews, it’s fun* to debate which one of the two you’d keep if you were forced to choose.
Talking up Toews
Conventional wisdom argues for Toews. The 25-year-old captain might be the prototype for an ideal NHL center: he can do just about everything well (and with stylish sideburns). Shouldn’t the foundation of your team be an all-around guy, after all?
That being said, his more rugged style has resulted in some concussion worries.
The case for Kane
The anti-Kane side is obvious enough: his tabloid-fueling off-ice incidents actually prompted some to talk trades with a straight face. Also, as a winger, he doesn’t carry the same defensive workload as a guy like Toews.
The 24-year-old’s dazzling creativity, advantage in total games played and edge in playoff production make strong cases in his favor.
Again, ignoring the “C: none of the above,” option for entertainment’s sake, cast your vote for which of the two you would keep:
* – Unless you’re a queasy Blackhawks fan, that is.
More Blackhawks day on PHT:
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 1
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 21
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)