Aug 16, 2013, 10:20 PM EST
To some, Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews represent the best duo the Chicago Blackhawks have seen since Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita. It’s hard to fathom the young duo breaking apart, but people likely never imagined Hull leaving Chicago for the WHA, either.
While it’s easier to picture a scenario where the Blackhawks franchise auctions off every core piece except Kane and Toews, it’s fun* to debate which one of the two you’d keep if you were forced to choose.
Talking up Toews
Conventional wisdom argues for Toews. The 25-year-old captain might be the prototype for an ideal NHL center: he can do just about everything well (and with stylish sideburns). Shouldn’t the foundation of your team be an all-around guy, after all?
That being said, his more rugged style has resulted in some concussion worries.
The case for Kane
The anti-Kane side is obvious enough: his tabloid-fueling off-ice incidents actually prompted some to talk trades with a straight face. Also, as a winger, he doesn’t carry the same defensive workload as a guy like Toews.
The 24-year-old’s dazzling creativity, advantage in total games played and edge in playoff production make strong cases in his favor.
Again, ignoring the “C: none of the above,” option for entertainment’s sake, cast your vote for which of the two you would keep:
* – Unless you’re a queasy Blackhawks fan, that is.
More Blackhawks day on PHT:
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)