Aug 16, 2013, 1:38 PM EST
It’s a slow August Friday, so let’s shake it up a bit with a column from Matt Cooke’s favorite sports writer, the Ottawa Sun’s Don Brennan.
He acknowledged the move was all about the money.
Without repeating Alfredsson’s chronology of how it all went down, the bottom line is he would have been handsomely rewarded had he stayed put. As well paid as he will be with the Red Wings? Maybe, or maybe a few hundred thousand shy of that. So a guy who has earned between $60-70 million from the Senators is going to a dump like Detoilet — and if you have ever visited Motown’s downtown, you can’t object to that classification — over a measly mil?
It’s nice that he’s taking the family on a “new adventure,” but the Alfredssons aren’t exactly on their way to Disney World. The boys are being torn from their friends and schools and hockey programs, and while their new house is sure to be in a ritzy neighbourhood, it’s not like Hugo and Loui will be able to play road hockey outside Joe Louis Arena while dad is at practice. The sticks would be stolen out of their hands.
Brennan, who said that Alfredsson revealed himself as “just another greedy athlete,” ended his piece with some strong words for Sens owner Eugene Melnyk.
Is Alfredsson, at age 40, worth $7 million a year? Of course not. As strictly a player, like he will be in Detroit, he’s valued about right at $3.5 million plus bonuses. But for all he’s done as a Senator, what he means to Ottawa and what he can still bring, $7 million is a bargain.
If Melnyk doesn’t see that, or couldn’t afford such an amount while acquiring Bobby Ryan, then we should all be worried for the Senators.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)