Aug 16, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT
Despite NHL commissioner Gary Bettman’s wish that the New York Islanders leave for Brooklyn after the 2013-14 NHL season, one year earlier than their move to the Barclays Center was originally planned, it doesn’t sound like that’s going to happen.
“It’s highly unlikely,” said developer Bruce Ratner Friday, one day after his group won the bid to renovate Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, the soon-to-be-former home of the Isles.
So that’s one takeaway from today’s press conference — the Isles are probably staying put for two more years. Here’s another takeaway, from Newsday:
Ratner announced that the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the American Hockey League minor league affiliate of the New York Islanders, would relocate to the Uniondale arena after the building is renovated.
Granted, in a statement (per IslandersPointBlank), the AHL club is saying, not so fast:
“Our agreement with the City of Bridgeport ends on August 31st, 2020. We have seven years remaining on this deal. The Sound Tigers have an agreement to play in Webster Bank Arena until then and plan on doing so until we hear otherwise from our owner. There is no agreement in place between the Islanders organization and the Ratner Group or Barclays Center. The Sound Tigers love being in Bridgeport and absolutely plan on spending at least the next seven AHL seasons here.”
But it should be noted that the Tigers are owned by Charles Wang, who also owns the Islanders, so the club could, in fact, be hearing otherwise.
There are rumors that the New York Rangers’ AHL affiliate in Hartford could move to Bridgeport to replace the Tigers.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)